Seeking Innovative Attachment Solutions for a Biochemistry Project

Spikey
I am currently engaged in a local project that requires a unique attachment solution. We need to securely affix a 100g object, coated with cross-linked polyethylene foam, to a board that is covered in synthetic fur. The attachment must be robust enough to endure shaking and bumps. Importantly, it should also be biodegradable, allowing the object to detach naturally after a period of 2-3 days. Any insights or suggestions on materials and methods that could facilitate this requirement would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your expertise and assistance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey, unfortunately I have no useful pictures to share...
As for your solution, have you ever tried such a material?

Spikey said:
As for your solution, have you ever tried such a material?
Of course, dentists use dissolving sutures all the time in oral surgery. By the time I go back in for my 1-week post-op appointment, the sutures are pretty much gone.

Let's go back to the basics "flour and water make paste". Is this strong enough?

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Of course, dentists use dissolving sutures all the time in oral surgery. By the time I go back in for my 1-week post-op appointment, the sutures are pretty much gone.
What make them dissolve?

Spikey said:
What make them dissolve?
I believe the link in my first reply above should cover that. I'm guessing just saliva, or maybe some blood plasma component, but I don't know for sure.

Last edited:
Well, I wrote this late last night then forget to hit the Post raply button. :oldshy:

Google searches had MANY hits. One hit noted that a mix of flour and sugar was rather common.

Try these search terms:
school paste adhesive
school paste

Also, I expect that Willdlife field researchers would have some good leads.

Cheers,
Tom

How secure is secure? Velcro and magnets are options - you don't have the strength of adhesives, but you don't have any residue either.

Spikey said:
We need to securely affix a 100g object, coated with cross-linked polyethylene foam, to a board that is covered in synthetic fur.
So you are going to attempt to tag a Nauga in the wild? Sounds terribly dangerous and difficult.

• Haha
Likes berkeman

What are innovative attachment solutions in biochemistry projects?

Innovative attachment solutions refer to novel methods and technologies used to connect or integrate different biological components at the molecular level. This can include linking enzymes to substrates, attaching drugs to carriers, or binding biomolecules to surfaces, which are crucial for developing new biochemical assays, sensors, or delivery systems.

Why is the choice of attachment method important in biochemistry projects?

The choice of attachment method is critical because it affects the stability, activity, and functionality of the biochemical system. An optimal attachment strategy ensures that the biological components maintain their native properties and interact efficiently, leading to more reliable and effective outcomes in experiments and applications.

What are some common methods of attachment used in biochemistry?

Common methods include covalent bonding, where a permanent bond is formed between molecules; non-covalent interactions such as electrostatic, hydrophobic interactions, and hydrogen bonding; and affinity-based attachments using tags and binders like biotin-streptavidin or His-tag-nickel systems. Each method has its specific applications and advantages depending on the biochemical project's requirements.

Can you give examples of innovative attachment solutions recently developed?

Recent innovations include the use of click chemistry for creating strong and specific linkages between molecules, the development of self-assembling peptides for constructing bioactive surfaces, and the use of nanobody technology for targeted attachment of therapeutic agents to specific cellular receptors.

What are the challenges faced in developing attachment solutions in biochemistry?

Challenges include ensuring the biocompatibility and non-toxicity of the attachment agents, maintaining the biological activity of the components post-attachment, achieving reversible or controllable attachment for dynamic studies, and scaling up the attachment method for industrial applications without compromising efficiency and cost-effectiveness.