Register to reply

Is a licence required to make isopropyl alcohol?

by Nutball
Tags: alcohol, isopropyl, licence, required
Share this thread:
Nutball
May5-12, 08:02 PM
P: 2
Is a licence required to make isopropyl alcohol? I know at times making alcohol can be illegal such as making it for drinking, but what about isopropyl?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Four billion-year-old chemistry in cells today
A new approach to creating organic zeolites
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
chemisttree
May5-12, 09:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
I don't think it is. Since is isn't for consumption there isn't any reporting requirement for excise taxes. There may be state or local regulations regarding environmental release of ... anything. Of course, depending on the method of manufacture, you might run afoul of some regulations but just having 2-propanol isn't illegal AFAIK.
sodium.dioxid
May8-12, 02:35 PM
P: 51
Quote Quote by Nutball View Post
Is a licence required to make isopropyl alcohol? I know at times making alcohol can be illegal such as making it for drinking, but what about isopropyl?
NO, why would making anything be illegal? As long as you don't steal the supplies, I would have a hard time understanding why it would be illegal. That's like asking "is making an automobile illegal?". Life is too short, so have fun. Make what you wanna make.

Borek
May8-12, 04:01 PM
Admin
P: 23,363
Is a licence required to make isopropyl alcohol?

Quote Quote by sodium.dioxid View Post
NO, why would making anything be illegal?
What about methamphetamine? Or LSD?
Mike H
May8-12, 04:53 PM
P: 484
You may have local fire ordinances to consider, although I doubt hobbyists would have enough material for them to be of concern.

I would recommend being sure to store whatever (legal) chemicals you have in an appropriate environment and clearly labeled. I can't seem to find it at the moment, but there was this news item somewhat recently about a family needing to dispose of a deceased family member's home laboratory that was not in very good shape.
Nutball
May8-12, 08:01 PM
P: 2
I just wasn't sure because plenty of things are illegal to make like bombs and drugs, and who knows what else is illegal to make without a licence. It is a simple and safe process(if you know what you're doing) to make isopropyl alcohol. My intended use for it is as fuel.
sodium.dioxid
May8-12, 08:20 PM
There are more rules and laws than any of us can count. If you make a mistake, just say "I didn't know". I don't know how people are expected to know the law when no classes are provided to the public. It's like we are supposed to know these things the moment we exit the womb.
Pengwuino
May8-12, 08:23 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
There are more rules and laws than any of us can count. If you make a mistake, just say "I didn't know". I don't know how people are expected to know the law when no classes are provided to the public. It's like we are supposed to know these things the moment we exit the womb.
.... seriously?
Drakkith
May8-12, 09:36 PM
Mentor
P: 11,505
Ignorance is not a valid defense. Laws are available publicly to everyone.

Nutball, I would think that there would be some kind of law for making isoprobyl alcohol, but you'd have to check around to be sure.
sodium.dioxid
May8-12, 09:55 PM
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
.... seriously?
Yes, seriously. Here's another one I bet you didn't know: you cannot park your vehicle within 5 inches of the parking lane, on either side. It is within total rights of a police officer to award you with a ticket (no, not a movie ticket), as stated in article 4 section 274 paragraph 3 line 17 in the book "How not be evil - citizens handbook to living life". It is called misconduct, lack of cooperation, and harassment. It depends on the mood of the police officer as to what combination of those three things he will charge you with (note that you can be charged for all three simultaneously). I was surprised just the way you are as you are reading this right now. I am so happy to learn this valuable lesson in life. I no longer have to worry about the fiery depths of you-know-where.

Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
Ignorance is not a valid defense.
I know. That's why I told them I was handicapped. They let me off the hook this time.
Drakkith
May9-12, 05:31 AM
Mentor
P: 11,505
I know. That's why I told them I was handicapped. They let me off the hook this time.
That's atrocious.
DrDu
May9-12, 05:49 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,555
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
What about methamphetamine? Or LSD?
Isn't their synthesis legal in Poland?
Seriously, this whole discussion is quite pointless as long as it doesn't refer to the laws of a specified country.
Borek
May9-12, 06:58 AM
Admin
P: 23,363
Quote Quote by DrDu View Post
Isn't their synthesis legal in Poland?
Last time I checked it wasn't. Somehow I doubt anything changed since then

Register to reply