Qualitative analysis

by Celluhh
Tags: analysis, qualitative
Celluhh
May6-12, 09:35 PM
P: 219
I'm just learning the basics, but I have a few questions.
Why is it that there is no precipitate formed when calcium ions react with aqueous ammonia?
Why is it that copper ions reactwith A little aqueous ammonia to form copper hydroxide precipitatinput dissolves in excess aqueous ammonia to form a solution???
All help will be greatly appreciated thank you !
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
New, more versatile version of Geckskin: Gecko-like adhesives now useful for real world surfaces
Researcher develops novel wastewater treatment fabric
sgstudent
May6-12, 11:18 PM
P: 635
Aqueous ammonia partially dissociate into NH4+ and OH- ions. So any calcium hydroxide formed will be a minute amount hence, it is able to dissolve in water leaving no precipitate. Copper (ii) hydroxide continues to react with the solution to form a deep blue solution.
Borek
May7-12, 01:59 AM
Admin
P: 22,670
Do you know what solubility product is? If so, compare solubility products of calcium hydroxide and copper hydroxide - which one is more soluble? Which one is easier to precipitate out of the solution?

Register to reply