Problem Intensive books on Probability

In summary, the person is looking for other books that are more problem-intensive than Introduction to Probability Models by Sheldon Ross, which is being used for their third year probability course. They would prefer books that are on par with Ross in terms of theory, but with more focus on practice problems. They have been recommended "An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications" by William Feller, which is known for its classical problems.
kamran60
Hello All,

I am enrolled in a third year probability course, and the course textbook is Introduction to Probability Models by Sheldon Ross. I want to do good in this course, and this course is the hardest course in third year stats. Therefore, I am studying from Ross right now, but would appreciate if you could give me the names of other books that are on par with Ross and much more problem-intensive, since the theory is already being covered in Ross. However, I do not mind a theory intensive book as long as it is problem intensive as well, and on par with Introduction to Probability Models.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kamran60.

These books have a good selection of (classical) problems:

"An introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications", Vol. I and Vol.II by William Feller.

1. What is the purpose of "Problem Intensive books on Probability"?

"Problem Intensive books on Probability" are designed to provide readers with a comprehensive understanding of probability theory and its applications. These books are filled with a large number of challenging problems that help readers develop their problem-solving skills and gain a deeper understanding of the concepts and principles of probability.

2. Are "Problem Intensive books on Probability" suitable for beginners?

While these books may be challenging for beginners, they can be a valuable resource for those who are willing to put in the effort. These books often include introductory chapters that cover the basics of probability, making them accessible to beginners. However, readers should have a strong foundation in mathematics and be comfortable with algebra, calculus, and statistics concepts.

3. Do "Problem Intensive books on Probability" cover real-world applications?

Yes, these books often include real-world examples and applications of probability theory. This helps readers understand how probability can be used in various fields, such as finance, engineering, and data analysis. By solving problems related to real-world scenarios, readers can see the practical applications of probability theory.

4. How can "Problem Intensive books on Probability" benefit students and professionals?

These books can be beneficial for students and professionals in various fields. For students, these books can help them develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in many careers. For professionals, these books can serve as a refresher and provide them with new insights and approaches to solving problems related to probability in their field.

5. Can "Problem Intensive books on Probability" be used for self-study?

Yes, these books can be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to have a solid understanding of the basics of probability before attempting to work through these books independently. It is also beneficial to have access to a solution manual or seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.