Ultraviolet rays and diseases

by azlan naeem
Tags: disease, rays, ultraviolet
azlan naeem
May12-12, 03:52 AM
P: 2
How can we safe us from ultraviolet rays? Guide me which diseases caused by ultraviolet rays?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Low Vitamin D may not be a culprit in menopause symptoms
Masculine boys, feminine girls more likely to engage in cancer risk behaviors
Modified stem cells offer potential pathway to treat Alzheimer's disease
tiny-tim
May12-12, 04:12 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,167
hi azlan naeem!

for the harmful effects to humans, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultravi...armful_effects
isaac200
May12-12, 05:06 AM
P: 7
The organ affected by uv rays is the skin and eye.protection from the skin involve the used of long-sleeve,hand glove,uv skin block,and any opaque object shield us from uv.For eye protection we used polycarbonate safety glass.
The disease cause by uv ray include cancer,sun burn(erythema),skin aging this is to the skin .
But for the eye it include corneal burn(keratoconjuctivitis)
Thank you azlan.

ViewsofMars
May12-12, 12:35 PM
P: 463

Ultraviolet rays and diseases

Quote Quote by azlan naeem View Post
How can we safe us from ultraviolet rays? Guide me which diseases caused by ultraviolet rays?
First off, I don't use wikipedia. Nor did I locate the following in it, which means that someone at wikipedia might use what I am about to share with you. My problem is I wish to share this with you but am concerned when new information comes out then wikipedia is using me. lol! (Tim, this is why I frown on wikipedia. Wikipedia = encyclopedia. An encyclopedia is a large volume of information.)

Azlan naeem, the National Institutes of Health states the following about one disease that might be of interest to you:

What is xeroderma pigmentosum(XP)?

Xeroderma pigmentosum (pronounced:zer-o-der-ma/pig-men-toe-sum), XP, is a very rare inherited disease that causes extreme sensitivity to the sunís ultraviolet rays. Unless patients with XP are protected from sunlight, their skin and eyes maybe severely damaged. This damage may lead to cancers of the skin and eye. XP has been identified in people of every ethnic group all over the world.
Please read on . . .
http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/patient_ed...ubs/xp7_17.pdf
zahero_2007
May14-12, 09:32 AM
P: 78
Ultraviolet rays have suffiecient energy that they can damage the DNA of the skin cells causing various forms of cellular dysfunction .The most dreadful is skin carcinoma which occurs commonly in light skinned individuals , Burns also occur due to damage to the skin structures and subsequent inflammation . However UV rays exposure is essential for skin health and to guard against vitamin D deficiency . vitamin D is necessary to keep bone strengh.UV rays are sometimes dangerous to the eyes in some predisposed individuals and may lead to diminution of vision
ViewsofMars
May14-12, 04:39 PM
P: 463
Quote Quote by zahero_2007 View Post
However UV rays exposure is essential for skin health and to guard against vitamin D deficiency .
Brief note pertaining to my previous contribution regarding the disease xeroderma pigmentosum(XP). If you had read the entire page by using the link (url) I provided, you would have read:

• Children with XP should not play outdoors during the day unless they areunder ultraviolet light-blocking sheltersand away from reflective surfaces suchas snow, sand, or w a t e r. Clouds do not block out harmful rays.
• Special arrangements for children withXP should be made at school to ensure that they are not exposed to sunlight from an open window, that they are not exposed to any unfiltered(bare) fluorescent light bulbs, and that they are not permitted outside for gym,recess, fire drills, or other activities.
Also, the USDA Food and Nutrition Center provides teachers' "SCIENCE lessons for K-4 grades":

Avoid Skin Cancer! Practice SAFE SUN!
• Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the United States.
• Melanoma is a deadly skin cancer that is caused by UV radiation from the sun or artificial tanning booths.
• Melanoma is linked to excessive sun exposure in the first 18 years of life.
• Avoid sunburns by practicing SAFE SUN!
What about your body’s need for vitamin D? Remember you need only 15 minutes of sun three times a week to produce vitamin D. You can also take in vitamin D through vitamin-D fortified foods, salmon, or a multivitamin that has 600-800 units of vitamin D.
http://healthymeals.nal.usda.gov/hsm...iana/10067.pdf

Register to reply