MCAT Prep: Is it Possible to Earn a Decent Score with Few Prerequisites?

• Thread starter biochem850
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is planning to study for the MCAT all summer and take the exam before the Fall 2012 semester. They have no other responsibilities and can devote all their time to studying. They are wondering if this is enough time to earn a decent score, considering they only plan to apply to Florida schools. Another person suggests that this is enough time and recommends using a forum like studentdoctors.net for a more productive study plan. They also mention that if the individual has a strong foundation in the physical sciences, the exam should be relatively simple. The individual then shares their own experience of studying for 4 months while balancing other responsibilities and still achieving a score above 40. They believe that 3 months of fully devoted study
biochem850
I'm starting my MCAT despite having completed only a few prerequisites. I understand many of the tested concepts but I'd like to know if this is a good course of action:

I plan to study for the MCAT all this summer (everyday) and taking the exam prior to the Fall 2012 semester. I have no other responsibilities at the moment and can truly devote all my time to studying. Would it be possible to earn a decent score(keeping in mind I intend to apply only to Florida schools)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is more than enough time, though a more productive forum may be one like studentdoctors.net or something. There's a really popular 90 day prep plan there.

If you learned your physical sciences well, the exam is actually pretty simple.

An all-summer prep should be fine, especially for the bio and physical sciences sections.

I ended up studying I think for about 4 months (while I was still gigging professionally and after having a 3 year break since I took any science courses during undergrad). That amount of time of part-time studying was more than enough to get above a 40, so I'm sure you'll be fine with 3 months of completely devoted study for the exam.

1. Can I still do well on the MCAT if I haven't taken all of the required prerequisite courses?

It is possible to earn a decent score on the MCAT even if you have not completed all of the required prerequisite courses. However, it will require a lot of self-study and dedication to cover the necessary material.

2. Are there any recommended prerequisite courses that I should prioritize for MCAT prep?

While all of the prerequisite courses are important for MCAT prep, some of the most crucial ones include biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry. These subjects make up a large portion of the MCAT and will be essential for understanding the material.

3. Can I use MCAT prep resources to supplement my lack of prerequisite knowledge?

Yes, using MCAT prep resources such as study guides, practice exams, and online courses can help supplement your lack of prerequisite knowledge. However, it is important to also review and understand the material on your own.

4. Are there any alternative routes to meeting the prerequisite requirements for the MCAT?

Yes, some medical schools may accept alternative courses or experiences in place of the traditional prerequisite courses. It's best to check with individual medical schools to see what their specific requirements are.

5. How can I gauge my understanding of the prerequisite material before taking the MCAT?

One way to gauge your understanding of the prerequisite material is to take practice exams and assess your performance. Additionally, seeking feedback from a tutor or mentor can also help identify any areas of weakness that may need further review.