Two C grades on transcript, options for grad school?

In summary, the conversation discusses an undergrad student's concerns about applying to grad school with subpar grades, specifically two Cs. They are unsure if grad school is the best option and are seeking advice on their options and what rank of grad school they should aim for. They also mention considering taking a gap year or working before going to grad school. The conversation also touches on the importance of addressing personal issues and reviewing past coursework before moving forward.
abk1207
Hi all, I'm an undergrad Physics and Mech. Engineering major (possible astrophysics as well). This past semester I've been dealing with some personal issues and I ended up with sub par grades as a result. I now officially have a C and a C+ on my transcript (along with a few B/B+). I'm a rising junior and my current GPA is 3.586. I think I will be able to pull it up to around 3.775 by the time i apply to grad school and 3.798 by the time I graduate. I've always planned on going to grad school for physics right after graduating but now I'm not so sure it's the best option. (I've also been debating going to grad school for engineering as well) I would like to know, realistically, what are my options of getting into grad school and what "rank" should I be aiming for (i.e. top 10, 10-50, >50 etc.). I know it seems a bit silly to assume my future is ruined because of 2 classes but I also know that C's on my transcript will not look good to grad school admissions. Any advice is welcome! (sorry for the essay)

The two classes I received C's in were Fluid Mechanics and Mechanics of Materials.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm looking for advice on applying to grad school, but also any advice on my other options would be welcome too (i.e. taking a gap year, working somewhere for a few years and going to grad school after that, etc.). Also I have yet to take the GRE, but I will be studying for it this summer and I anticipate getting good scores (hopefully).

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. You have a year. Let's see where you are then.

People ask similar questions to this on these forums reasonably often, and it always strikes me when the students' primary concern is what rank of graduate school they can managed to get into - even ahead of what they want to study in graduate school or concerns about how a shaky understanding of the course material might impact their future endeavours. This may not necessarily be what you intend on conveying, but that's how it comes across to me.

Anyway, a few thoughts:
  1. Take care of those personal issues that resulted in your sub-par performance - at least to the point that you can. It's hard to offer any specific advice on this, not knowing what they are, but it's not uncommon for personal issues to get a "band aid" solution only to have them flare up later and have the cycle repeat. If you need to take time off of school to do this, it's generally better to do so then push forward and not get the education that you want.
  2. It's also a good idea to spend some time reviewing the material on the courses you struggled with. A lot of people are happy to put bad experiences like this behind them, but remember that in STEM fields, this kind of coursework tends to build on itself. As much as possible you want to set yourself up to do well in the courses that are coming up.
  3. Now might be a good time to start thinking about what you want out of graduate school. First, you'll need to decide on a field. Then you'll need to figure out what sub-field you want to go into. What problems are you interested in working on? What kind of work do you want to do? What kind of skills do you want to develop? What kind of people do you want to work with? What kind of mentors do you learn the best from? The rank of a school is one factor to consider in this decision, but it shouldn't generally be the driving one.

Likes RJLiberator
If your PGRE, research accomplishments, and recommendation letters are good, there will be some grad school opportunities. How high will they be ranked? Dunno. It depends on the details: reputation and ranking of undergrad school is one issue. A 3.6-3.8 at a top 50 school suggests a more highly ranked grad school than a 3.6-3.8 GPA at a school ranked closer to 150. Any GPA looks better when paired with a 90% percentile GPA, and multiple Phys Rev Letters and strong recommendation letters from someone famous.

Choppy said:
People ask similar questions to this on these forums reasonably often, and it always strikes me when the students' primary concern is what rank of graduate school they can managed to get into - even ahead of what they want to study in graduate school or concerns about how a shaky understanding of the course material might impact their future endeavours. This may not necessarily be what you intend on conveying, but that's how it comes across to me.

Anyway, a few thoughts:
  1. Take care of those personal issues that resulted in your sub-par performance - at least to the point that you can. It's hard to offer any specific advice on this, not knowing what they are, but it's not uncommon for personal issues to get a "band aid" solution only to have them flare up later and have the cycle repeat. If you need to take time off of school to do this, it's generally better to do so then push forward and not get the education that you want.
  2. It's also a good idea to spend some time reviewing the material on the courses you struggled with. A lot of people are happy to put bad experiences like this behind them, but remember that in STEM fields, this kind of coursework tends to build on itself. As much as possible you want to set yourself up to do well in the courses that are coming up.
  3. Now might be a good time to start thinking about what you want out of graduate school. First, you'll need to decide on a field. Then you'll need to figure out what sub-field you want to go into. What problems are you interested in working on? What kind of work do you want to do? What kind of skills do you want to develop? What kind of people do you want to work with? What kind of mentors do you learn the best from? The rank of a school is one factor to consider in this decision, but it shouldn't generally be the driving one.
Thanks so much for your reply, I know its been a while and you probably won't read this but I appreciate the advice. I realize the way I phrased my original question made it seem as if I cared more about the prestige of the grad school than the work I would be doing. This was not my intention. I was just worried that being restricted in what grad schools I could get into would restrict the area of research I could specialize in. As for the personal problems, I have not yet found a permanent solution, however I think after this semester I will be able to prevent them from affecting my grades. I made the original post right after the grades came out so I was still in a bit of a panic. I realize that it probably seemed a bit silly, but I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Dr. Courtney said:
If your PGRE, research accomplishments, and recommendation letters are good, there will be some grad school opportunities. How high will they be ranked? Dunno. It depends on the details: reputation and ranking of undergrad school is one issue. A 3.6-3.8 at a top 50 school suggests a more highly ranked grad school than a 3.6-3.8 GPA at a school ranked closer to 150. Any GPA looks better when paired with a 90% percentile GPA, and multiple Phys Rev Letters and strong recommendation letters from someone famous.
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time to give advice. I will certainly focus on doing research and getting a good score on the PGRE. I currently have one paper accepted for publication and hopefully will have another 1-2 coming this summer. Hopefully this and good rec letters will be enough. I was in a bit of a panic when I wrote the original post, and I realize now I was probably being a bit silly. But, anyway the grades are permanent now and all I can do is make everything else as good as possible.

1. What are my options for graduate school with two C grades on my transcript?

Having two C grades on your transcript does not necessarily disqualify you from graduate school. Many factors are considered in the admissions process, such as your GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. It is important to highlight your strengths and explain any extenuating circumstances that may have contributed to the C grades.

2. Will my two C grades affect my chances of getting into a top graduate school?

Graduate schools typically look at your overall academic record, not just one or two grades. If you have a strong GPA and other impressive qualifications, your chances of getting into a top graduate school are still good. However, it is important to research the specific admissions requirements of the schools you are interested in to determine their policies on C grades.

3. Should I retake the courses in which I received C grades before applying to graduate school?

Retaking courses can be beneficial if you are able to improve your grades significantly. However, it is important to consider the time and cost involved and whether it is worth it for your specific situation. If you have strong grades in other courses and can provide a valid explanation for the C grades, it may not be necessary to retake them.

4. How can I address my two C grades in my graduate school application?

In your personal statement or statement of purpose, you can briefly explain the circumstances surrounding your C grades and how you have learned and grown from the experience. It is important to take responsibility for your grades and show how you have improved your academic performance since then.

5. Are there any other factors that graduate schools consider besides grades?

Yes, graduate schools also consider factors such as research experience, internships, extracurricular activities, and relevant work experience. They may also look for strong letters of recommendation and a compelling personal statement that showcases your skills, achievements, and potential for success in graduate school.