Register to reply

On Introducing a Nano-Planet into an Existing Solar System

by jackpelham
Tags: existing, introducing, nanoplanet, solar
Share this thread:
jackpelham
May19-12, 11:30 AM
P: 9
Thanks again to all who participated in the Hand Grenade in Solar Orbit discussion. Here's a related question that was prompted in my mind from that discussion:

Suppose we could magically insert a new nano-planet (we'll call it "Bob") into our existing solar system. Let's suppose that:
  1. Bob is 1/1000th the mass of the earth
  1. Bob's orbit is in between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter (to be consistent with the hand grenade scenario)
  1. Bob's orbit is roughly perpendicular to the general plane of the solar system.
  1. Bob's velocity is what we would expect for an object in that orbit.

QUESTIONS: If these were the conditions of the orbit into which we magically introduced Bob, should we expect to see changes to Bob's orbit over time? Would Bob eventually end up orbiting in or near the plane in which the other planets orbit?

Thanks again for your willingness to discuss such topics with a novice who is trying to learn!
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Spectacular supernova's mysteries revealed
Supernova seen in two lights
A chemical signature of first-generation very-massive stars
SpinellTymon
May20-12, 09:18 PM
P: 1
I think it probably would, I mean if it were closer to Jupiter by a couple million miles than it would most likely (over hundreds or thousands of years) drift over to Jupiter to become it's moon.
Whovian
May21-12, 11:12 AM
P: 642
Quote Quote by SpinellTymon View Post
I think it probably would, I mean if it were closer to Jupiter by a couple million miles than it would most likely (over hundreds or thousands of years) drift over to Jupiter to become it's moon.
Thanks only to friction, I should note.

Drakkith
May21-12, 04:19 PM
Mentor
P: 11,844
On Introducing a Nano-Planet into an Existing Solar System

I would say it is likely. In addition to Jupiter, it would have to worry about that pesky dwarf planet Ceres and large asteroids in the asteroid belt that it is going to travel through.

Register to reply