What is the process of peptization in chemistry

In summary, peptization occurs when a suspension of charged particles is neutralized by adding an inert salt, causing the particles to lose their repulsive force and possibly form a precipitate. If this precipitate is washed with deionized water, it can become charged again and potentially dissolve. However, this concept may not apply to all precipitates, such as barium sulfate, and washing with deionized water may not be the best method due to other factors.
ASidd
I read on a website that by washing a precipitate with too much de-ionised water; the precipitate is Peptized and thus some precipitate is lost.

I am having a hard time understanding what peptization is? Can somebody please help me understand in simple terms for an A level student?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Have you checked wikipedia?

I didn't understand the wiki article tbh english isn't my first language and I was hoping if someone could explain it. In less technical terms?

You have a suspension of very fine, charged particles. They don't precipitate, because they repel each other. When you add an inert salt, its ions get attracted to these particles, neutralizing the charge. In turn precipitate can be formed, as the particles stop to repel each other. If you wash the precipitate with deionized water, you remove inert salt ions, precipitate particles become charged again and can dissolve.

If it is still too technical, please explain where you get lost.

Okay so can this also apply to Barium sulfate precipitate? If you wash the precipitate with about 1 bottle of De-ionised water will it be peptized and some of it lost??

No ,idea, but I have reasons to doubt. Barium sulfate is not colloidal. Then, washing it with deionised water is not the best idea for other reasons.

What will some of those reasons be?

Related to What is the process of peptization in chemistry

What is peptization?

Peptization is a process in chemistry where a solid substance is dispersed into smaller particles and converted into a colloidal solution by the addition of a dispersing agent, also known as a peptizing agent.

What is the purpose of peptization?

The purpose of peptization is to create a stable colloidal solution by preventing the particles from aggregating and settling. This allows for a more uniform distribution of particles and can improve the properties and reactivity of the substance.

What are some common peptizing agents?

Some common peptizing agents include acids, bases, and salts. These agents work by neutralizing the surface charge of the particles, reducing the repulsive forces between them and allowing them to remain suspended in the solution.

How does peptization differ from precipitation?

Peptization and precipitation are opposite processes. Peptization involves the formation of smaller particles in a solution, while precipitation results in the formation of larger particles that settle out of the solution. Peptization is a reversible process, while precipitation is not.

What are some applications of peptization?

Peptization is commonly used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, ceramics, and paints to create stable colloidal solutions. It also plays a crucial role in soil science, as it helps to improve the dispersion and availability of nutrients in soil. In addition, peptization is used in some chemical reactions to increase the surface area and reactivity of solid substances.