Register to reply

What is the process of peptization in chemistry

by ASidd
Tags: precipitate, reaction
Share this thread:
ASidd
Nov9-12, 11:44 PM
P: 73
I read on a website that by washing a precipitate with too much de-ionised water; the precipitate is Peptized and thus some precipitate is lost.

I am having a hard time understanding what peptization is? Can somebody please help me understand in simple terms for an A level student?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists create nanofibers using unprecedented new method
Nanostructured metal-oxide catalyst efficiently converts CO2 to methanol (w/ Video)
Researchers discover low-grade nonwoven cotton picks up 50 times own weight of oil
Borek
Nov10-12, 02:41 AM
Admin
P: 23,401
Have you checked wikipedia?
ASidd
Nov10-12, 05:15 AM
I didn't understand the wiki article tbh english isn't my first language and I was hoping if someone could explain it. In less technical terms?

Borek
Nov10-12, 07:01 AM
Admin
What is the process of peptization in chemistry

You have a suspension of very fine, charged particles. They don't precipitate, because they repel each other. When you add an inert salt, its ions get attracted to these particles, neutralizing the charge. In turn precipitate can be formed, as the particles stop to repel each other. If you wash the precipitate with deionized water, you remove inert salt ions, precipitate particles become charged again and can dissolve.

If it is still too technical, please explain where you get lost.
ASidd
Nov10-12, 07:48 AM
Okay so can this also apply to Barium sulfate precipitate? If you wash the precipitate with about 1 bottle of De-ionised water will it be peptized and some of it lost??
Borek
Nov10-12, 11:56 AM
Admin
No ,idea, but I have reasons to doubt. Barium sulfate is not colloidal. Then, washing it with deionised water is not the best idea for other reasons.
ASidd
Nov10-12, 07:27 PM
What will some of those reasons be?

Register to reply