Redox trends of the first row transition metals

In summary, copper is the only transition metal in the first row that generally forms a stable +1 oxidation state, but in certain conditions, it can also exhibit instability due to disproportionation reactions.
orgohell
Hey, I'm having trouble understanding the trends of the oxidation states for the first row of the transition metals

-my prof said that Cu is the only metal that forms a stable +1 oxidation state. But, I've done a question in hmwrk that had Cu+1 as unstable with respect to disproportionation how can it be both stable and unstable?

-The frost diagram for the transition metals has all (except Cu) with negative 2+/3+ oxidation states. Does this mean that the oxidation reaction M(metal)⇔Mz+ +ze- is thermodynamically favoured as the reduction couple (slope of the line) is negative?

Thanks a lot!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
orgohell said:
my prof said that Cu is the only metal that forms a stable +1 oxidation state. But, I've done a question in hmwrk that had Cu+1 as unstable with respect to disproportionation how can it be both stable and unstable?

Stability is not a simple TRUE/FALSE concept. There are Cu(I) compounds that can be stored forever (think chalcocite) when isolated. But in water solutions, or in contact with air, they are not stable, and will either get oxidized or disproportionate.

1. What are the first row transition metals?

The first row transition metals are a group of elements found in the first row of the d-block on the periodic table. This group includes elements from Scandium (Sc) to Zinc (Zn).

2. What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction is a chemical reaction in which one or more elements undergo a change in oxidation state. This involves the transfer of electrons between atoms, resulting in the reduction of one atom and the oxidation of another.

3. How do the first row transition metals differ in their redox trends?

The first row transition metals show a gradual decrease in their oxidation states from left to right. This is due to a decrease in the number of available d electrons as the atomic number increases.

4. How do the redox trends of the first row transition metals affect their chemical properties?

The redox trends of the first row transition metals play a significant role in their chemical properties. For example, elements with a higher oxidation state tend to be more reactive and form compounds more easily.

5. What applications do the redox trends of the first row transition metals have in industry?

The redox trends of the first row transition metals have a wide range of applications in various industries. For instance, they are commonly used as catalysts in chemical reactions, as well as in the production of alloys and electronic devices.