Horizontal lift, or parallel transport

by qinglong.1397
Tags: horizontal, lift, parallel, transport
Share this thread:
qinglong.1397
Nov13-12, 12:21 PM
P: 107
Hello, everyone!

I'm studying Nakahara's book, Geometry, Topology and Physics and now studying the connection theory. I come across a problem. Please look at the two attachments.

In the attachment Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	52916, Nakahara said we could use the similar method in the attachment Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	52915 to get [itex]\tilde X[/itex], but why does the first term have [itex]g_i(t)^{-1}[/itex]. According to the first figure, the first term should have the following form

[itex]R_{g_i(t)*}\sigma_{i*}X[/itex]

Since [itex]R_{g*}X=Xg[/itex], it becomes

[itex](\sigma_{i*}X)g_i(t)[/itex]

So there shouldn't be [itex]g_i(t)^{-1}[/itex]. But why did the author put it there? Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
bloby
Nov14-12, 05:06 AM
P: 112
Hello.
When I read this chapter I found this strange. I think it's a mistake. The next equation however is right by (10.3b')
qinglong.1397
Nov14-12, 05:44 PM
Quote Quote by bloby View Post
Hello.
When I read this chapter I found this strange. I think it's a mistake. The next equation however is right by (10.3b')
Hey, thanks for your reply! But what is "the next equation", the second equation in the first attachment? If so, I cannot agree with you, because there is no a pullback of a right action.

bloby
Nov15-12, 03:07 AM
Horizontal lift, or parallel transport

I have to read this chapter again. Here is what I wrote for me:

[tex]0=\omega\left(\tilde{X}\right)=\omega\left(R_{g_{i}*}\left(\sigma_{i*}X \right)\right)+\omega\left(\left[g_{i}^{-1}dg_{i}\left(X\right)\right]^{\#}\right)=R_{g_{i}}^{*}\omega\left(\sigma_{i*}X\right)+g_{i}^{-1}dg_{i}\left(X\right)=g_{i}^{-1}\omega\left(\sigma_{i*}X\right)g_{i}+g_{i}^{-1}\frac{dg_{i}}{dt}[/tex]
bloby
Nov15-12, 03:16 AM
[tex] 0=\omega(\tilde{X})=\omega(R_{g_{i}*}(\sigma_{i*}X))+\omega([g_{i}^{-1}dg_{i}(X)]^{\sharp})=R_{g_{i}}^{*}\omega(\sigma_{i*}X)+g_{i}^{-1}dg_{i}(X)=g_{i}^{-1}\omega(\sigma_{i*}X)g_{i}+g_{i}^{-1}\frac{dg_{i}}{dt} [/tex]
qinglong.1397
Nov15-12, 07:34 AM
Quote Quote by bloby View Post
[tex] 0=\omega(\tilde{X})=\omega(R_{g_{i}*}(\sigma_{i*}X))+\omega([g_{i}^{-1}dg_{i}(X)]^{\sharp})=R_{g_{i}}^{*}\omega(\sigma_{i*}X)+g_{i}^{-1}dg_{i}(X)=g_{i}^{-1}\omega(\sigma_{i*}X)g_{i}+g_{i}^{-1}\frac{dg_{i}}{dt} [/tex]
Great! Thank you very much!

Register to reply