by taylaron
Tags: freq, power, supply or, ultimate
Share this thread:
taylaron
Nov14-12, 02:41 AM
PF Gold
P: 384
Greetings.
I'm working on an experiment that needs a power supply/ frequency generator with some unique capabilities. I need to be able to vary the waveform (preferably with a computer) and vary the output voltage simultaneously. Frequencies vary from 1hz to 100khz and voltages range from 120v to 10kv. the device should have a 1kw output capacity with variable current limiter.

I realize that this would be an extremely dangerous machine at certain settings...

Is there any reasonable hope of being able to make or purchase such a device? If yes, how should I approach making one? Or would it be easier and cheaper to put an elephant on mars?
I'm working on a degree in EE.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
An innovative system anticipates driver fatigue in the vehicle to prevent accidents
Squink personal factory aims to make circuit prototyping easy
Catching grease to cut grill pollution
NascentOxygen
Nov14-12, 05:00 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,129
vary the waveform
... means what, exactly? It's a sinewave generator, and you want the computer to just control the frequency (and amplitude)? Or it's a waveform synthesizer and you want to devise fancy sawtooth and complex step waveforms?
f95toli
Nov14-12, 05:11 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,241
It sound like you could probably use a DSS followed by a HV amplifier.
I believe you could buy what you need, but expect to pay some rather serious amount of money for it. What is your budget?
H&S is also an issue so there might a be bunch of rules you have to follow before you can operate it.

taylaron
Nov16-12, 07:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 384
Ultimate power supply/ freq. gen

Quote Quote by NascentOxygen View Post
... means what, exactly? It's a sinewave generator, and you want the computer to just control the frequency (and amplitude)? Or it's a waveform synthesizer and you want to devise fancy sawtooth and complex step waveforms?
Yes, I want to make "fancy" sawtooth waveforms and other waveforms.

Quote Quote by f95toli View Post
It sound like you could probably use a DSS followed by a HV amplifier.
I believe you could buy what you need, but expect to pay some rather serious amount of money for it. What is your budget?
H&S is also an issue so there might a be bunch of rules you have to follow before you can operate it.
What does DSS stand for?
skeptic2
Nov16-12, 09:50 PM
P: 1,803
What do you know of safety precautions for working around 10kv? For instance, how far must you keep conductors from other conductors at 10 kv. How will you detect arcing and shut down the generator down under an arcing condition?

I once worked with an RF oscillator that operated at 5 kv and 1 amp. That was a surprisingly complex circuit with all the safety interlocks other circuits to keep it operating in a fail safe mode. I strongly urge you to find someone who knows HV to help you avoid dangerous situations.
davenn
Nov17-12, 06:08 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,458
Quote Quote by taylaron View Post
What does DSS stand for?
I dunno either, maybe a typo ?
I suspect he really meant DDS -- Direct Digital Synthesis

Dave
Enthalpy
Nov17-12, 06:42 AM
P: 661
Feasible for sure, and easier than the elephant on Mars. But really difficult.

A first stone in the garden is the lack of semiconductors for 10kV. Putting them in series at 100kHz would be very difficult, and you're unlikely to find descriptions. Workarounds:

- Use vacuum valves. It the output must push and pull, you need a driver floating at 10kV for the high side valve. The valves can cascode MOS is this brings anything.

- Have an output transformer after the semiconductors. This transformer for waveforms over two frequency magnitudes is very difficult, more so at 10kV. You may have to operate in oil.

- Maybe you can switch the output transformer for voltage range.

- Even at favourable voltage thanks to a transformer, 1kW at 100kHz with precise forms is difficult.
f95toli
Nov17-12, 06:54 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,241
Quote Quote by davenn View Post
I dunno either, maybe a typo ?
I suspect he really meant DDS -- Direct Digital Synthesis

Dave
Indeed, it was a typo. Essentially I just meant a stanard off-the-shelf DDS from e.g. Agilent or Tektronix. The waveform is the easy (aqnd cheap) part, it is the amplifier that us tricky (and very expensive)

But again, what is your budget? And do you have access to a proper lab?
I am pretty sure we (well, some of my collegues) could do this where I work, but the equipment is seriously expensive and all experiments of this nature are done in access-controller labs with interlocks.
sophiecentaur
Nov17-12, 09:03 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,873
It would be much more practical to use a range of narrow-band signal / power sources. You would be paying a massive premium to have 'sweepability' when serious power at 'spot frequencies' would be quite achievable.
But CAUTION is essential at these power levels. We don't want to be left with just a pair of 'smouldering boots' - as in comedy films.
Mike_In_Plano
Nov17-12, 04:42 PM
P: 560
This is a difficult one. I would contact Instruments For Industry (IFI). They've supplied some rather extreme amplifiers for some of my testing.
Though I suspect that no one amplifier configuration will meet your needs. You'll likely have to add a transformer to get to the higher voltages.

Best of Luck,

Mike
NascentOxygen
Nov17-12, 04:47 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,129
Quote Quote by sophiecentaur View Post
But CAUTION is essential at these power levels. We don't want to be left with just a pair of 'smouldering boots' - as in comedy films.
I suspect OP is researching teletransportation, so your scenario may be precisely what he's hoping to achieve.

Register to reply