Cheapest/best power supply for 7 different types of motors

In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to power a device that includes five stepper motors, one brushed DC motor, and a heater. The question is whether to use three separate power supplies of 5V, 12V, and 48V or to use a dual power supply with a voltage regulator for each motor. It is suggested that 3 different power supplies would be necessary, as building switching converters would not be practical for a one-off project.
Sebastian B
Hello community,

I am building a device for which I will be using five Stepper motors (each 5v, 3a) and one brushed DC motor whose speed has to be varied and operates between 12V and 48V (350Watts). Also I have a heater which runs at 12V, 40Watts. My question is: How will I best power these different types of electronics? Should I use 3 different power supplies with 5V,12V and 48V or should I use a dual power supply with 12V and 48V and use a voltage regulator for each 5V, 3A motor or is there a better way to go about this?

Appreciate the help

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you need 3 supplies in some form. Buying a huge 12V supply and regulating to 5V 15A (5 3A motors) is not a good plan.

There are other possible ways, but they all involve building buck or boost switching converters which are A. Not trivial at your power levels, and B. not worthwhile for a one-off project.

Likes Sebastian B

1. What factors should I consider when looking for the cheapest power supply for 7 different types of motors?

When looking for the cheapest power supply for multiple motors, you should consider the voltage and current requirements of each motor, the total power output needed for all motors combined, and the efficiency and reliability of the power supply. It is also important to make sure the power supply is compatible with all 7 types of motors.

2. Is it better to have one power supply for all 7 motors or separate power supplies for each motor?

It is generally better to have separate power supplies for each motor. This ensures that each motor receives the appropriate amount of power and reduces the risk of overloading the power supply. It also allows for easier troubleshooting and maintenance if one motor or power supply were to fail.

3. Can I use a power supply with a lower voltage or current rating for my motors to save money?

No, it is not recommended to use a power supply with lower voltage or current ratings than what is required for your motors. This can result in decreased performance and potentially damage to the motors. It is important to use a power supply that meets the specifications of your motors.

4. Are there any cost-effective alternatives to traditional power supplies for these motors?

Yes, there are some alternatives to traditional power supplies that may be more cost-effective. For example, using a battery pack or solar panels may be a cheaper option depending on the specific needs and applications of the motors. It is important to research and compare different options to determine the most cost-effective solution for your specific situation.

5. How can I ensure the best performance and longevity of my motors with a cheaper power supply?

To ensure the best performance and longevity of your motors, it is important to properly match the power supply to the motors' specifications and regularly check and maintain the power supply. This includes ensuring proper ventilation and avoiding overloading the power supply. It is also important to monitor the motors' performance and make any necessary adjustments to the power supply if needed.