Help understanding solar imaging wavelength and coronal temp

In summary, the TRACE website contains a solar image that shows the solar corona using false-color and a 3-layer composite from the TRACE observatory. The blue, green, and red channels correspond to 171A, 195A, and 284A respectively, and are most sensitive to emission from 1, 1.5, and 2 million degree plasma. This allows for a detailed view of coronal loops in the lower solar atmosphere. The quoted text description may imply an incorrect association between shorter wavelengths and lower temperature plasma, but the wavelengths actually correspond to electronic transitions of different ionized species rather than temperature. As we move up in wavelength, we are viewing more energetic events, which requires higher temperatures.
Bob65
The TRACE website has a solar image that is described as, quoting from the text associated with the image, "This is a false-color, 3-layer composite from the TRACE observatory showing the solar corona: the blue, green, and red channels show the 171A, 195A, and 284A, respectively. These TRACE filters are most sensitive to emission from 1, 1.5, and 2 million degree plasma, thus showing the entire corona and detail of coronal loops in the lower solar atmosphere."

And now that I typed the description above into this post, I think I see where my misunderstanding has arisen. I thought the text stated that the 171A radiation corresponded to the 1 MK plasma, the 195A to the 1.5 MK, and the 284A to the 2 MK plasma. This seemed backward to me, since the shorter wavelength radiation should correspond to the higher temperature plasma (e.g., the 171A radiation corresponds to the 2 MK plasma, etc.) I suspect that is true, and the quoted text description "sorta implies" (but does not state) an incorrect association of shorter wavelengths with lower temperature plasma.

Am I correct? Does the 171A radiation correspond to the 2 MK plasma, etc.?

Thanks for the help.

Bob65

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The reference you quoted discusses the solar corona so the light being imaged is in emission. The emission is from recombination of electrons and positive ions in the plasma, namely iron. The wavelengths associated with the wavelengths you are asking about correspond to electronic transitions (recombinations of electrons and positively charged iron ions) and the wavelength is entirely dependent on the energy level differences of the various ionized species rather than temperature. The population of the energetic species is temperature dependent.

Wavelength/ Species
171 A/ Fe IX
195 A/ Fe XII
284 A/ Fe XV

You can see that as we go up in wavelength we are viewing progressively more energetic events. That is, the temperature at which we view iron fifteen or Fe15 transitions necessarily needs to be at a higher temperature than FeIX. By the time we are removing the more inner shell electrons to create a place for an ion/electron recombination we are probing much more energic events, ie. higher temperatures.

Interesting reading.

1. What is solar imaging wavelength?

Solar imaging wavelength refers to the specific range of electromagnetic radiation that is used to capture images of the Sun. This typically includes wavelengths in the visible, ultraviolet, and infrared regions of the electromagnetic spectrum.

2. How does solar imaging help us understand the temperature of the Sun's corona?

Solar imaging allows us to observe the Sun's corona, which is the outermost layer of the Sun's atmosphere. By analyzing the intensity of different wavelengths of light emitted by the corona, scientists can determine the temperature of this region.

3. Why is the corona of the Sun so much hotter than its surface?

The exact reason for the corona's high temperature is still a subject of ongoing research. However, it is believed that the intense magnetic fields in the corona may play a role in heating the plasma to such high temperatures.

4. What types of instruments are used for solar imaging?

There are several types of instruments used for solar imaging, including telescopes, spectrographs, and specialized cameras. These instruments may operate in different wavelengths and have varying levels of sensitivity and resolution.

5. How is solar imaging used in space weather forecasting?

Solar imaging is an important tool for predicting and monitoring space weather. By observing the Sun's activity and changes in the corona, scientists can anticipate potential solar flares, coronal mass ejections, and other events that can impact Earth's magnetic field and communication systems.