An asteroid the size of the Rose Bowl has a slight chance of impacting Earth?

zuz
User reminded that "I have heard" is not a valid reference for the technical forums
I have heard that an asteroid the size of the Rose Bowl has a slight chance of impacting Earth. Experts say you should not "blow it up" because then we would have many smaller impactors with random trajectories rather than one big one that we could pinpoint with accuracy. But, Wouldn't many of the smaller parts burn up in the atmosphere and do no damage at all?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
zuz said:
I have heard that
From whom?
zuz said:
Experts say
Who?

zuz said:
I have heard that an asteroid the size of the Rose Bowl has a slight chance of impacting Earth. Experts say you should not "blow it up" because then we would have many smaller impactors with random trajectories rather than one big one that we could pinpoint with accuracy. But, Wouldn't many of the smaller parts burn up in the atmosphere and do no damage at all?
No matter how it is broken apart, it would represent a huge amount of energy and heat. If a lot of pieces burn up in the atmosphere, it could be like a lot of atom bombs going off.

History has shown that the OP posts and leaves. We may not get any clarification.

This would be roughly a 30 MT impact, depending on the composition, velocity, etc. Enough to wreck your day, but not extinction-level. If it breaks into two pieces, now you have two 15 MT impacts. Better? Worse? That depends on a lot of things.

If you broke it into a billion pieces, the story is different.

Likes FactChecker
Poster has been reminded to avoid using insults
Vanadium 50 said:
From whom?

Who?
Neil Degrasse tyson, and if you haven't heard of Apophis by now, I suggest you read a little more astrophysicist news.

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman and russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
History has shown that the OP posts and leaves. We may not get any clarification.

This would be roughly a 30 MT impact, depending on the composition, velocity, etc. Enough to wreck your day, but not extinction-level. If it breaks into two pieces, now you have two 15 MT impacts. Better? Worse? That depends on a lot of things.

If you broke it into a billion pieces, the story is different.
What I'm saying is if you nuked the thing, it wouldn't break in two. It would explode into many pieces. Some the size of houses, sure, but many more the size of baseballs and small cars.

zuz said:
Neil Degrasse tyson, and if you haven't heard of Apophis by now, I suggest you read a little more astrophysicist news.
Please do not get defensive when someone asks you for specifics. Many of us (including myself) will read your post who have never heard of Apophis. We should make every effort to be precise and to use valid references.

Likes berkeman, russ_watters, DaveC426913 and 1 other person
If I'm wrong, (which I probably am) so be it. It just doesn't make sense to me when we have hundreds of tons of space material falling into our atmosphere every day and it does no harm.

zuz said:
If I'm wrong, (which I probably am) so be it. It just doesn't make sense to me when we have hundreds of tons of space material falling into our atmosphere every day and it does no harm.
Not a good analogy and not a good place to wing it. If you do the math the difference will become clear.

An estimated 3 to 500 tons enters Earth's atmosphere daily. Apophis masses 60 million tons, entering in one moment.

And that's not even counting the velocity.

Last edited:
Likes phinds, FactChecker and Bystander
zuz said:
Good point. But it is not the number that counts, it is the energy. The muzzle velocity of a bullet typically ranges between 800 t0 2,000 mph (see this). A typical Earth-crossing asteroid could be traveling at around 50,000 mph (see this). That is their speed after falling toward the Sun to a distance matching the Earth's orbit. Remembering that the energy of an object is proportional to velocity squared, an asteroid of the same mass as a bullet would have between ##62.5^2=3,906## and ##25^2 = 625## times more energy than the bullet. The Apophis asteroid that you referred to is estimated to have a mass of ##6 x 10^{10}## kg (see this). You can estimate the energy of that asteroid, but here is some information. It is in terms of the energy in units of megatons of TNT. 1,200 megatons of TNT. That is about 50 time more powerful than the most powerful nuclear bomb ever developed by the U.S., the B41.
That energy exists and will have a large effect no matter how many pieces an asteroid is broken up into.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
zuz said:
I suggest you read a little more astrophysicist news.
Good luck! Toodles!

zuz said:
I suggest you read a little more astrophysicist news.
:oops:I went to an astro physics lecture one night. I heard there was going to be a leading expert speaking.

When the lecture started, Neil deGrasse Tyson and Vanadium 50 walked out on stage together.

I got so excited, I grabbed the guy next to me and said "Holy Crap! You know who that is up there!?"

And he shrugged and said "Dunno, but I guess he's a friend of Vanadium 50."

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes phinds, glappkaeft, berkeman and 2 others
Any impact risk from Apophis in this century has been ruled out. So much for reading news.

If you can break an asteroid into pieces that are ~5 meters or smaller and have some time to spread out then yes, these pieces will burn up harmlessly - the energy gets spread out over such a large area that it's not an issue. For something the size of Apophis this needs around a million pieces, even if all of them magically have the same size. How do you break an asteroid into so many pieces of equal or smaller size in a controlled manner?

• Informative
Likes russ_watters, FactChecker and berkeman
This thread's question has been thoroughly answered and the rules of the forum thoroughly explained, so it's now closed.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the size of the Rose Bowl, and how big is the asteroid?

The Rose Bowl stadium is approximately 100 meters in diameter. An asteroid the size of the Rose Bowl would also be around this diameter, making it significant enough to cause regional damage if it were to impact Earth.

2. What does "a slight chance" of impacting Earth mean in scientific terms?

In scientific terms, "a slight chance" refers to a low probability, often quantified in specific terms by astronomers using observations and predictive models. For asteroids, this might be expressed as a percentage or a rating on the Torino Scale, which gauges the potential hazard of near-Earth objects.

3. What would be the potential effects of such an asteroid impacting Earth?

An asteroid about 100 meters in diameter could release energy equivalent to several megatons of TNT, leading to significant destruction in the immediate area of impact. The effects could include massive shockwaves, heat radiation, and depending on the location, tsunamis or other large-scale geological disturbances.

4. How do scientists detect and track asteroids of this size?

Scientists use various methods to detect and track asteroids, including ground-based telescopes and radar systems. Space-based telescopes can also spot these objects by detecting the sunlight they reflect. Once detected, their orbits are calculated and monitored to assess any potential threat to Earth.

5. What measures can be taken if such an asteroid is confirmed to be on a collision course with Earth?

If an asteroid is found to be on a collision course with Earth, potential mitigation strategies might include deflecting the asteroid using a spacecraft impactor, gravitational tractor, or other means to alter its trajectory. International cooperation and timely intervention are crucial to implement such measures effectively.