Intrinsic property of spacetime ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the intrinsic properties of spacetime, specifically curvature and torsion, and whether they are properties of connections. It is mentioned that in teleparallel gravity, these are considered as properties of connections. The group also talks about the Lorentz interval and how it gives us a metric, but it is not clear if parallel transport can be obtained from the metric in the presence of torsion. The conversation ends with the speakers expressing their confusion and the need for further study.
Worldline
Hi friends

what are intrinsic properties of spacetime ?
curvature & torsion ? or they are just properties of connections ?
Since in teleparallel gravity we consider them as properties of connections.

thank u

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the Lorentz interval is obviously a property of space-time, and that gives us a metric.

What we need to go on to get a connection and curvature from the metric is parallel transport.

Reading the fine print in Wald, though, it's not terribly clear if you can get parallel transport from the metric in the way I'm used to in the presence of torsion. So I can answer the first part fairly confidently, I think - space-time gives you the Lorentz interval and the metric.

But I'm not sure , in the presence of torsion, what it takes to go from the metric to parallel transport (which gives you connections and curvature.) At the moment I'm suspecting it does not, but I might be seriously confused. I opened a different thread so I don't export any confusion into this one.

Without torsion, I know it is possible to single out a connection from a metric.

Last edited:
Thank pervect
i am a bit confused !
i think that i need more study !

Related to Intrinsic property of spacetime ?

1. What is an intrinsic property of spacetime?

An intrinsic property of spacetime is a characteristic or quality that is inherent to spacetime itself, regardless of any external influences or perceptions. It is a fundamental aspect of the fabric of the universe and cannot be separated from it.

2. How is the intrinsic property of spacetime related to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity describes how the properties of spacetime are affected by the presence of matter and energy. The intrinsic property of spacetime is a key concept in this theory, as it explains how the curvature of spacetime is determined by the distribution of mass and energy.

3. Can the intrinsic property of spacetime be measured?

Since the intrinsic property of spacetime is a fundamental aspect of the universe, it cannot be measured directly. However, scientists can indirectly measure its effects, such as the bending of light or the gravitational pull of massive objects, through experiments and observations.

4. How does the intrinsic property of spacetime influence the behavior of objects in the universe?

The intrinsic property of spacetime is responsible for the phenomenon of gravity, which is the force that governs the motion of objects in the universe. It also plays a role in the expansion of the universe and the formation of large-scale structures, such as galaxies and galaxy clusters.

5. Is the intrinsic property of spacetime the same throughout the universe?

According to the current understanding of physics, the intrinsic property of spacetime is the same everywhere in the universe. This is supported by observations and experiments, which have shown that the laws of physics and the behavior of spacetime are consistent across vast distances and different regions of the cosmos.