Point estimate from multiple sampling distributions

by capy_bara
Tags: distributions, estimate, multiple, point, sampling
Share this thread:
capy_bara
Nov20-12, 08:04 AM
P: 1
Dear all, I hope someone can help me.

I have two experimental groups, A (n=5) and B (n=8) containing biological samples. The samples are used to estimate my parameter of interest, θ. I do this with Markov-chain Monte-Carlo, which gives me a posterior distribution of θ for each of my samples. The distributions look approximately normal but are skewed a bit to the right. All values for θ are positive.
I wonder how I can now report single estimates (and confidence intervals) for θ in groups A and B, respectively.

Averaging the means of each distribution in one group gives me very different results than averaging the medians of all distributions. I also tried combining all distributions from one group and then taking the mean or the median. How can I find out which is the best way to summarize all distributions within one group to get a single point estimate?

I hope my problem is clear, I would appreciate any help.
Many thanks in advance,
capy_bara
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
mfb
Nov20-12, 08:29 AM
Mentor
P: 11,580
For each sample in A and B, you get a distribution of (possible) θ, and you want a single number and confidence interval for θ in A and B?

How can I find out which is the best way to summarize all distributions within one group to get a single point estimate?
Convolution, if nothing simpler works. This allows to get your point estimate and confidence level in a natural way.

Register to reply