Is the Sample Size Calculation in This Article Accurate?

In summary, the article states that a sample of 600 people would be needed to locate 200 people with an episode of major depression, but the article's calculations were incorrect and the correct number is 80 individuals.
jaumzaum
Hello!
I will present an article tomorrow and I just found out the sample size calculation could be wrong (it's not my article).
It's very urgent, if someone could help me to confirm if the sample size calculation is right or wrong (and if so, help me to calculate the correct amount) this would save my presentation.
To explain about the article: It is a population based study to estimate the prevalence of major depression in Brazilian population.

As I was taught, the optimal sample size for a study can be calculated as:
##n = Z^2 p (1-p)/D^2##
Where Z = 1,96 for a confidence level of 95%
p is the estimated proportion
D is the sample error

The article says the following when calculating the sample size:
"To calculate the sample size, it was employed as parameters of sensitivity and specificity the value of 80%, acceptable error of 10 percentage points for more or less, and level of significance of 95%, being necessary to include around 200 subjects with and 200 without an episode of major depression disorder in the study. With a point prevalence of around 30% of depressive symptoms in the adult population of Pelotas , it was estimated that with a sample of around 600 individuals it would be possible to locate around 200 with an episode of major depression."

If I consider Z = 1,96, p = 0,3 and D = 0,1 I get 80 individuals, not 200 or 600.
Am I right considering these numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry if it's already too late, but I'm not clear on the meaning of the " Optimal size" for a sample. Optimal in what way/sense?

Likes jaumzaum
jaumzaum said:
Am I right considering these numbers?
I agree with your numbers: the only things I can think of regarding the original study are
  • the first language of the author does not appear to be English which may lead to misinterpretation
  • the "acceptable error of 10 percentage points for more or less" could mean an error band 10 pp wide i.e. ## \pm 5 \% ##, although that would give a sample size of 246.

Likes jaumzaum
WWGD said:
Sorry if it's already too late, but I'm not clear on the meaning of the " Optimal size" for a sample. Optimal in what way/sense?
In the sense of being the minimum sample size to provide an estimate with the desired confidence interval.

Likes jaumzaum and WWGD
jaumzaum said:
If I consider Z = 1,96, p = 0,3 and D = 0,1 I get 80 individuals, not 200 or 600.
I think p is actually 0.8 for both sensitivity and specificity, but that doesn't change the size much.

Likes jaumzaum
Thanks @pbuk and @WWGD, I confirmed yesterday that the calculation in the article was indeed wrong.
p is 0.8 actually (what would give a Z of 61), sorry about that.
If we consider the error margin is 10% in total, we get around 200 individuals, but the article says specifically that it uses 10% for more or for less (this happens also in other calculations).

However, more people is not bad, just the calculations that we needed to change a bit!

1. What is sample size calculation and why is it important?

Sample size calculation is the process of determining the number of participants needed in a study to obtain statistically significant results. It is important because having an appropriate sample size ensures that the study has enough statistical power to detect a true effect, while also minimizing the risk of obtaining false results.

2. How is sample size calculation performed?

Sample size calculation takes into consideration factors such as the desired level of statistical power, the expected effect size, and the desired level of confidence. There are various statistical formulas and software programs available to perform sample size calculations.

3. What are some potential sources of error in sample size calculation?

Some potential sources of error in sample size calculation include incorrect assumptions about the expected effect size, inadequate understanding of statistical concepts, and failure to account for potential confounding variables.

4. How can I determine if the sample size calculation in an article is accurate?

To determine the accuracy of the sample size calculation in an article, you can check if the authors have provided a justification for their chosen sample size and if they have used appropriate statistical methods. It is also helpful to consult with a statistician for a thorough review of the calculation.

5. Can the sample size calculation be adjusted after the study has already been conducted?

In some cases, it may be possible to adjust the sample size after the study has been conducted. This can be done through methods such as interim analysis or post-hoc power analysis. However, it is generally recommended to determine the appropriate sample size before the study begins to avoid potential biases.