Conic section problem (ellipse)

In summary: so the equation should have been\frac{(x-\frac{1}{2})^2}{\frac{1+k}{4}}+\frac{(y-\frac{1}{2})^2}{\frac{1+k}{4k}}=\sqrt{(\frac{3}{2}+p)^2+q^2} instead of\frac{(x-\frac{1}{2})^2}{\frac{1+k}{4}}+\frac{(y-\frac{1}{2})^2}{\frac{1+k}{4k}}=\sqrt{(\frac{3}{2}
V0ODO0CH1LD

Homework Statement

Let [itex] k>0 [/itex] be such that [itex] (x^2-x)+k(y^2-y)=0 [/itex] defines an ellipse with focal length equal to [itex] 2 [/itex]. If [itex] (p,q) [/itex] are the coordinates of a point in the ellipse with [itex] q^2 - q\not=0 [/itex], then what is [itex] \frac{p-p^2}{q^2-q} [/itex]?

Homework Equations

The fact that the sum of the distances from any point in an ellipse is equal to two times the length of the major axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I wrote the ellipse equation in "standard" form:
[tex] \frac{(x-\frac{1}{2})^2}{\frac{1+k}{4}}+\frac{(y-\frac{1}{2})^2}{\frac{1+k}{4k}}=1 [/tex]
Which means that the ellipse is centered at [itex] (\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}) [/itex] and it's major axis is the x-axis. Because [itex] k [/itex] could never be less than [itex] 1 [/itex] since that would make the major axis be less than the specified focal length. And as far as I know, that is not allowed.

Anyway, I could solve for [itex] \frac{1+k}{4} [/itex] and [itex] \frac{1+k}{4k} [/itex] by using the fact that major axis of the ellipse squared is equal to the minor axis squared plus half the focal length squared, which gives:
[tex] (\frac{1+k}{4})^2= (\frac{1+k}{4k})^2+1 [/tex]
Then I could say that the sum of the distances from any point to each focus of the ellipse is always equal to [itex] 2(\frac{1+k}{4}) [/itex]. And that leaves the equation below to solve for [itex] \frac{p-p^2}{q^2-q} [/itex]:
[tex] \sqrt{(\frac{3}{2}+p)^2+q^2} + \sqrt{(\frac{5}{2}+p)^2+q^2}=2(\frac{1+k}{4}) [/tex]
Where [itex] k [/itex] is a known.

Okay, now I am definitely stuck.. So I have a few questions.

First; can I find the relationship of p and q in the expression [itex] \frac{p-p^2}{q^2-q} [/itex] just by knowing their relationship in [itex] \sqrt{(\frac{3}{2}+p)^2+q^2} + \sqrt{(\frac{5}{2}+p)^2+q^2} [/itex]?

Second; why is it that [itex] \frac{p-p^2}{q^2-q} [/itex] is a constant ratio for every point in the ellipse? I feel like that is some property of ellipses which if I knew it would make the problem way easier. Is that right?

Third; if I can't just do what I said above would I actually have to do something else? What?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you get those expression in the square root?

With [itex] (x^2-x)+k(y^2-y)=0 [/itex]
and replacing x->p, y->q for points on the boundary, we know that ##(p^2-p)+k(q^2-q)=0## which gives [itex] \frac{p-p^2}{q^2-q} =-k[/itex]

Seen as function of x, [itex] (x^2-x)+k(y^2-y) [/itex] is a parabola with two roots (corresponding to points on the ellipse) and negative values in between. Therefore, each point inside has [itex] (x^2-x)+k(y^2-y) < 0[/itex] with a minimum of [itex] -\frac{1}{4}+k(y^2-y) [/itex] at x=1/2 (the center of the ellipse). Similar arguments should lead to an upper bound on [itex] \frac{p-p^2}{q^2-q}[/itex].

mfb said:
How do you get those expression in the square root?
Sorry about that, I was using the fact that any point in the cartesian coordinate system whose sum of the distances from the two points that make up the foci of that particular ellipse equal 2 times the major axis would end up being the points in the ellipse itself.

But that is useless now.. I think.
mfb said:
With [itex] (x^2-x)+k(y^2-y)=0 [/itex]
and replacing x->p, y->q for points on the boundary, we know that ##(p^2-p)+k(q^2-q)=0## which gives [itex] \frac{p-p^2}{q^2-q} =-k[/itex]
I actually think that [itex] \frac{p-p^2}{q^2-q}=k [/itex], and [itex] \frac{p^2-p}{q^2-q} [/itex] that equals [itex] -k [/itex]. So isn't the value I should be looking for just [itex] k [/itex]?

I tried using the method I mentioned, now assuming that the answer I am looking for is k, but I can't get to any results that resemble the ones I can choose from. Is there something wrong with my approach to finding [itex] k [/itex]?
mfb said:
Seen as function of x, [itex] (x^2-x)+k(y^2-y) [/itex] is a parabola with two roots (corresponding to points on the ellipse) and negative values in between. Therefore, each point inside has [itex] (x^2-x)+k(y^2-y) < 0[/itex] with a minimum of [itex] -\frac{1}{4}+k(y^2-y) [/itex] at x=1/2 (the center of the ellipse). Similar arguments should lead to an upper bound on [itex] \frac{p-p^2}{q^2-q}[/itex].
I got lost.. If I am not mistaken you are assuming that [itex] \frac{p-p^2}{q^2-q}[/itex] is not a constant value, which it is. I think it's weird that this particular combination of the components of the coordinates of the points in the ellipse are constant. I must be some sort of conic section property or something. Although I not even sure if I got what you meant in the last part of your post.

EDIT: AH! I got it now! The thing that I was using wrong was that in the equation
[tex] \frac{(x-\frac{1}{2})^2}{\frac{1+k}{4}}+\frac{(y-\frac{1}{2})^2}{\frac{1+k}{4k}}=1 [/tex]
The major and minor axis were actually the square roots of the denominators there.

Last edited:
I got confused by "point in the ellipse". If you mean "point on the ellipse", ignore the second part.
And you are right, the sign in my post is wrong. The fraction is always k for all points of the ellipse, which follows directly from its equation.

What is a conic section problem (ellipse)?

A conic section problem (ellipse) is a mathematical problem that involves finding the properties and characteristics of an ellipse, which is a type of conic section. An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle, and it can be defined as the set of all points in a plane whose distances from two fixed points (called foci) add up to a constant value.

What is the equation of an ellipse?

The general equation of an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively. This equation can also be written in standard form as (x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2) = 1.

How do you find the foci of an ellipse?

To find the foci of an ellipse, you can use the formula c^2 = a^2 - b^2, where c is the distance from the center to each focus, a is the length of the semi-major axis, and b is the length of the semi-minor axis. The foci are located on the major axis, and they are equidistant from the center of the ellipse.

What is the difference between an ellipse and a circle?

An ellipse and a circle are both conic sections, but they have some key differences. A circle is a special case of an ellipse where the two foci coincide at the center of the circle. The equation of a circle is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) is the center and r is the radius. In contrast, an ellipse has two distinct foci and its shape is more elongated compared to a circle.

What are some real-life applications of conic section problems (ellipse)?

Conic section problems (ellipse) have many real-life applications, such as in astronomy, engineering, and architecture. For example, the orbits of planets around the sun can be described by elliptical paths, and satellite orbits are also elliptical. In engineering and architecture, ellipses are used to create arches and domes, as well as to design antennas and reflectors.