Sx acting on up spin particle confusion

In summary, the spin up particle has an x component that is half probability of h-bar/2 and half of negative h-bar/2.
DocZaius
I am reading Griffiths and I am having trouble interpreting the results of measuring the x component of spin on a spin-up particle.

If you have a spin up particle, my understanding is that it is assumed to be up in the preferred axis, z. I would think that measuring its x component should give half probability of h-bar/2 and half of negative h-bar/2. But what I get is h-bar/2 times spin down (down in z axis right?):

[itex]Sx\uparrow=\frac{\hbar}{2}
\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 1 \\
1 & 0 \end{array} \right)
\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 \\
0 \end{array} \right)
=\frac{\hbar}{2}\downarrow[/itex]

I don't see why this would make any sense. You measure the x component of the spin of a spin-up particle and get h-bar over 2 times spin down? Does that mean the particle is now spin down on the z axis? Shouldn't it be on the x-axis now that we measured it in respect to the x component?

Also, just to be clear: the generic spin-up spinor without a (z) superscript implies it is a spinor of the z axis right?

[itex]X=X^{(z)}[/itex] ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't measure anything. Applied to eigenstates of Sz, the Sx operator acts as a stepping operator (it's equal to ½(S+ + S-)) The S+ gives zero, and the S- steps you down. So no wonder you got the spin down state!: wink:

What you want to do is find the overlap between the spin up state and the eigenstates of Sx. This will give you the probability amplitude of measuring each value of Sx. From the matrix you wrote, the eigenstates of Sx are (1/√2)(1, ±1).

So if I wish to measure the x component of the spin-up particle, I first project spin-up onto Sx's eigenvectors, thereby expressing it as a linear combination of them, then Sx that vector?

1) V = <Sx's first eigenvector|Spin up vector> (Sx's first eigenvector) + <Sx's second eigenvector|Spin up vector> (Sx's secondeigenvector)
2) (Sx)V

Is that right?

yes,you will have to first define up and down with respect to x axis.

?? why would you apply the spinx operator to spin up state

One cannot make a measurement in quantum mechanics. One can only predict probabilities for numerous measurements. There is no mathematical operation as we know it now that one can use in quantum mechanics were one applies something to a state vector, and gets back a result. This can't happen since the results are random, and you never hit a state vector with something and get a random result back. You can calculate the probability of obtaining a result in a lab where you do an actual mesearment. For your case it would be [itex]\langle \uparrow_{x}|\uparrow_{z}\rangle [/itex] or something like that depending what you want to know.

1. What is Sx acting on up spin particle confusion?

Sx acting on up spin particle confusion is a concept in quantum mechanics that refers to the confusion or uncertainty surrounding the measurement of the spin of an up spin particle when the operator Sx is applied.

2. How does Sx affect the measurement of the spin of an up spin particle?

Sx is an operator that corresponds to the measurement of the spin in the x direction. When applied to an up spin particle, it can result in a measurement of either spin up or spin down, leading to confusion or uncertainty.

3. What causes the confusion when Sx is applied to an up spin particle?

The confusion arises from the fact that an up spin particle can exist in a superposition of both spin up and spin down states. When Sx is applied, the particle's state is "collapsed" into one of these two states, but it is impossible to predict which one it will be.

4. Is Sx acting on up spin particle confusion a common phenomenon in quantum mechanics?

Yes, Sx acting on up spin particle confusion is a common occurrence in quantum mechanics, as it is an inherent property of quantum systems to exhibit probabilistic behavior when measured.

5. How is Sx acting on up spin particle confusion relevant in scientific research and technology?

Understanding and manipulating the spin of particles is crucial in fields such as quantum computing and quantum information processing. Sx acting on up spin particle confusion is a fundamental aspect of these technologies and is actively studied and utilized in scientific research.