Not sure what square brackets indicate when dealing with partial derivates

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the gradient symbol ##\nabla## and its meaning, as well as the notation of using square brackets to indicate a function of another function. The use of square brackets is simply a matter of convenience in this case.
Kushwoho44
Hi guys, attached is a picture of my problem and it is also underlined.

5zil9k.jpg

I've been reading through this theory and I just don't understand what the square brackets indicate.

I understand that ∇phi is the partial derivative with respect to the scalar function phi.

But what is ∇phi [r(t)] ?

I feel ashamed asking this like I'm going to be laughed at.

Physics news on Phys.org
##\nabla\phi## is the the gradient of ##\phi##: it is read "grad phi" or "del phi".
So it involved taking the partial derivative of phi with respect to each coordinate axis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradient

##\phi[\vec{r}(t)]## is just telling you that ##\phi## is a function of ##\vec{r}## which, in turn, is a function of ##t##. What they've done is parameterized the path represented by the C. Having turned ##\phi## into a function of just one variable, the gradient is much simplified.

They are just using "[ ]" in place of "( )" because they are already using "( )" for the "[itex]\vec{r}(t)[/itex]" and don't want to have "))". There is no difference in meaning.

1. What are square brackets used for in partial derivatives?

Square brackets are used to indicate a partial derivative in mathematical notation. They are placed around the variable or variables with respect to which the derivative is being taken.

2. How do I know when to use square brackets in partial derivatives?

Square brackets are used when taking the partial derivative of a multivariable function. They are necessary to distinguish between partial derivatives and ordinary derivatives.

3. Can I use other symbols instead of square brackets in partial derivatives?

No, square brackets are the standard notation for indicating partial derivatives. Using other symbols may cause confusion and should be avoided.

4. What is the difference between square brackets and parentheses in partial derivatives?

While both square brackets and parentheses can be used to indicate a derivative, they have different meanings. Square brackets indicate a partial derivative, while parentheses indicate an ordinary derivative.

5. Are square brackets always necessary when taking partial derivatives?

No, square brackets are only necessary when taking the partial derivative of a multivariable function. If the function only has one variable, parentheses can be used instead.