Aftermath of polymerization of EtOH

by Weissritter
Tags: ethanol, ethene, organic, polyethylene, polymerization
Weissritter
Dec16-12, 08:43 PM
P: 36
In a very similar way to my first post ever, a short series of reactions came to mind that could be seen as apparent magic. You could use it for gaining instantaneous fame in a party, convincing people into pay attention to chemistry in basic levels of education and in conjunction with a time machine you could use it for making people believe you are a real magician.
In a recipient of any kind, high-purity ethanol, which can be bought pretty much everywhere, is mixed with sulfuric acid. The ethanol becomes ethene. (Does it become some sort of equilibrium situation there?). Now, the ethene is polymerized with FeCl3 and polyethylene appears "magically". These two reactions are easy to understand for me. What bugs me is the aftermath. If done in any glass-lab recipient, I can only imagine polyethylene would stick to it, rendering it useless for using it anytime else. So should these reactions be done in something disponsable, like a plastic bottle, for ensuring minimal costs?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
First view of nature-inspired catalyst after ripping hydrogen apart provides insights for better, cheaper fuel cells
Following a protein's travel inside cells is key to improving patient monitoring, drug development
Team helps cancer treatment drugs get past their sticking point
chill_factor
Dec16-12, 08:59 PM
P: 887
You could think about putting a thin loop of copper wire into the glass beaker. what I believe may happen is that the reaction will be catalyzed at the metal surface due to higher surface energy relative to glass, and that the solidification of polyethylene will nucleate preferentially on the metal.

i think you can reuse the wire by melting off the polymer.

However I never tried this.
chemisttree
Dec17-12, 01:29 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725
Quote Quote by Weissritter View Post
In a very similar way to my first post ever, a short series of reactions came to mind that could be seen as apparent magic. You could use it for gaining instantaneous fame in a party, convincing people into pay attention to chemistry in basic levels of education and in conjunction with a time machine you could use it for making people believe you are a real magician.
In a recipient of any kind, high-purity ethanol, which can be bought pretty much everywhere, is mixed with sulfuric acid. The ethanol becomes ethene. (Does it become some sort of equilibrium situation there?). Now, the ethene is polymerized with FeCl3 and polyethylene appears "magically". These two reactions are easy to understand for me. What bugs me is the aftermath. If done in any glass-lab recipient, I can only imagine polyethylene would stick to it, rendering it useless for using it anytime else. So should these reactions be done in something disponsable, like a plastic bottle, for ensuring minimal costs?
BP of ethylene is -108oC

Weissritter
Dec17-12, 08:17 AM

Aftermath of polymerization of EtOH

Quote Quote by chemisttree View Post
BP of ethylene is -108oC
Chemisttree subtly tries to tell me ethylene is a gas which could escape from an open recipient, and whoever tries to do these reactions should do it in something closed, or in any lab system capable of sending the ethylene, in gas state, to a disponsable bottle for polymerization.
Am I right?
chemisttree
Dec18-12, 01:46 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725
Yep. Not the kind of reaction you do as a demonstration.
Weissritter
Dec18-12, 09:12 PM
But....but the reactions....magic....nevermind, thanks for clearing this doubt.

Register to reply