Register to reply

Is there some sort of calculus relationship between these two kinematics equations?

by tahayassen
Tags: calculus, equations, kinematics, relationship, sort
Share this thread:
tahayassen
Dec25-12, 08:11 PM
P: 273
[tex]{ y }_{ f }={ y }_{ i }+{ v }_{ yi }t+\frac { 1 }{ 2 } { a }_{ y }{ t }^{ 2 }\\ { v }_{ yf }={ v }_{ yi }+{ a }_{ y }t[/tex]

It almost looks like the second equation is the derivative of the first equation with respect to time.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Symphony of nanoplasmonic and optical resonators produces laser-like light emission
Do we live in a 2-D hologram? New Fermilab experiment will test the nature of the universe
Duality principle is 'safe and sound': Researchers clear up apparent violation of wave-particle duality
Pengwuino
Dec25-12, 08:14 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Exactly. The velocity of an object is simply the time-derivative of its position function.
tahayassen
Dec25-12, 08:24 PM
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
Exactly. The velocity of an object is simply the time-derivative of its position function.
Maybe I'm incredibly rusty on my calculus, but isn't the time-derivative of the first equation the following?

[tex]0={ v }_{ yi }+{ a }_{ y }t[/tex]

jtbell
Dec25-12, 08:47 PM
Mentor
P: 11,770
Is there some sort of calculus relationship between these two kinematics equations?

##v_{yf}## isn't a constant, it's a variable, more specifically the dependent variable, a function of t. Written as functions, your two equations are

$$y(t) = y_i + v_{yi} t + \frac{1}{2}a_y t^2 \\ v_y(t) = v_{yi} + a_y t$$
tahayassen
Dec25-12, 08:48 PM
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
##v_{yf}## isn't a constant, it's a variable, more specifically the dependent variable, a function of t. Written as functions, your two equations are

$$y(t) = y_i + v_{yi} t + \frac{1}{2}a_y t^2$$

$$v_y(t) = v_{yi} + a_y t$$
Thank you!
tahayassen
Dec25-12, 08:51 PM
Any way I can derive the below equation from the position and velocity equations?

[tex]{ { v }_{ yf } }^{ 2 }={ { v }_{ yi } }^{ 2 }+2{ a }_{ y }({ y }_{ f }-{ y }_{ i })[/tex]

Edit: Never mind. http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=660863

Register to reply