Derive the following kinematics equation using the position and velocity equations

In summary, the equations for position and velocity in the y-direction are given, and the formula for deriving the final velocity squared is shown. The derivation can also be connected to the work-energy theorem. By solving for time in the second equation and substituting it into the first equation, the final velocity squared formula can be derived. Alternatively, the formula can be easily derived by using the displacement as the average velocity multiplied by time and substituting for time.
tahayassen

Homework Statement

[tex]{ y }_{ f }={ y }_{ i }+{ v }_{ yi }t+\frac { 1 }{ 2 } { a }_{ y }{ t }^{ 2 }\\ { v }_{ yf }={ v }_{ yi }+{ a }_{ y }t[/tex]

Derive

[tex]{ { v }_{ yf } }^{ 2 }={ { v }_{ yi } }^{ 2 }+2{ a }_{ y }({ y }_{ f }-{ y }_{ i })[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

This isn't an actual homework question; I'm just cross-posting this thread because I'm terribly impatient and there is much more traffic here.

Physics news on Phys.org

tahayassen said:

Homework Statement

[tex]{ y }_{ f }={ y }_{ i }+{ v }_{ yi }t+\frac { 1 }{ 2 } { a }_{ y }{ t }^{ 2 }\\ { v }_{ yf }={ v }_{ yi }+{ a }_{ y }t[/tex]

Derive

[tex]{ { v }_{ yf } }^{ 2 }={ { v }_{ yi } }^{ 2 }+2{ a }_{ y }({ y }_{ f }-{ y }_{ i })[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

This isn't an actual homework question; I'm just cross-posting this thread because I'm terribly impatient and there is much more traffic here.

Solve for t in the second equation, and substitute it into the first equation.

Thanks. That derivation took much longer than expected.

Last edited:

You can connect the equation to work-energy theorem. The work done on a particle is equal to the change of its kinetic energy. Work done is displacement times force. Force is F=ma. [tex]W=(y_f-y_i)ma=1/2(mv_f^2-mv_i^2)[/tex]. Cancel m.

But you can derive the formula easily if you remember that the displacement is average velocity multiplied by time. [tex]Δy=\frac{1}{2}(v_i+v_f)t[/tex]. Substitute [itex]t=\frac{v_f-v_i}{a}[/itex] for t.
[tex]y_f-y_i=\frac{1}{2}(v_i+v_f)\frac{v_f-v_i}{a}=\frac{v_f^2-v_i^2}{2a}[/tex]

ehild

I would say that the derived equation is a result of applying the principles of kinematics, specifically the equations for position, velocity, and acceleration, to a one-dimensional motion in the y direction. By combining the position and velocity equations, we can eliminate the time variable and derive an equation that relates the final velocity to the initial velocity, acceleration, and displacement. This equation can be used to analyze the motion of an object in the y direction and make predictions about its final velocity based on its initial conditions. This equation is a fundamental tool in the study of motion and is applicable to a wide range of scenarios in physics and engineering.

1. How do you derive the kinematics equation using position and velocity equations?

The kinematics equation can be derived by integrating the velocity equation with respect to time. This will result in the position equation, which can then be rearranged to solve for the kinematics equation.

2. What are the position and velocity equations?

The position equation is a mathematical representation of an object's position at any given time, and is often denoted as x(t). The velocity equation represents an object's velocity, or rate of change in position over time, and is denoted as v(t).

3. Why is it important to understand kinematics equations?

Kinematics equations are crucial in understanding the motion of objects in both linear and rotational systems. They provide a mathematical representation of an object's position, velocity, and acceleration, which are essential concepts in physics and engineering.

4. What are some real-world applications of kinematics equations?

Kinematics equations are used in a variety of fields, such as robotics, aerospace engineering, and sports. They can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, the motion of a vehicle, or the movement of an athlete.

5. Are there any limitations to kinematics equations?

Kinematics equations assume that the motion of an object is constant and does not take into account external factors such as air resistance or friction. They also do not account for the shape or size of an object, which can affect its motion. Therefore, they may not accurately represent real-world scenarios in all cases.