Interesting Phenomena on my Windshield

In summary, the forum user shared an interesting observation about a zigzag pattern in the movement of water droplets on their truck windshield. Possible explanations for this pattern include the aerodynamics of the truck, surface tension and adhesion of the droplets, and environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. Further research and experimentation would be needed to fully understand the cause of this phenomenon.
Aero51
So I was driving my dads truck to pick up my sister when I noticed a very interesting pattern in the raindrops sliding across the truck windshield. It was not raining, but I am currently in the northeast and we just got done with a snowstorm so they really weren't raindrops but simply melted snow... Anyway, I observed that the "raindrops" tended to follow a zigzag pattern as they climbed the windshield. This wasn't one path in particular, many of them seemed to move like recognized swimmers akin to a "glider" in the Game of Life. Here is a picture from Wikipedia:
Gospers_glider_gun.gif

It was very fascinating, so much so that I almost missed my exit! I am not sure if the fact that I was following a tractor trailer makes a difference. Perhaps the vortex shedding frequency behind the trailer had something to do with the water pattern on the windshield.

Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this pattern?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your observation with us. I find your description of the "raindrop" pattern on your truck windshield very interesting. It is possible that the vortex shedding frequency behind the tractor trailer could have an impact on the movement of the water droplets on your windshield. However, there are also other factors that could be contributing to this pattern.

One possible explanation is the aerodynamics of the truck and its interaction with the surrounding air. As the truck moves through the air, it creates a wake behind it, which can affect the movement of the water droplets on the windshield. The shape and speed of the truck can also play a role in this phenomenon.

Another factor to consider is the surface tension and adhesion of the water droplets. The shape of the truck's windshield and the direction of the wind can influence how the droplets move and interact with each other. The temperature and humidity levels can also impact the behavior of the water droplets.

In order to fully understand the cause of this pattern, further research and experimentation would be needed. It would be interesting to see if the same pattern occurs on other vehicles in similar weather conditions. I would also suggest recording the speed and direction of the wind, as well as the temperature and humidity levels, to see if there is a correlation with the observed pattern.

Thank you for bringing this observation to our attention. It is through curiosity and observation like yours that we can continue to learn and discover more about the world around us. Keep observing and questioning, and who knows what other fascinating patterns you may uncover in the future.

What causes the interesting phenomena on my windshield?

The most common cause of interesting phenomena on windshields is the accumulation of dirt, dust, and debris from the environment. This can create patterns and shapes when combined with rain, condensation, or sunlight.

Why do some windshields show more interesting phenomena than others?

The amount and type of interesting phenomena on a windshield can vary depending on factors such as the location, weather patterns, and the condition of the windshield itself. For example, a windshield with a lot of scratches or cracks may show more interesting patterns due to light refraction.

Are these interesting phenomena harmful to my windshield?

In most cases, interesting phenomena on a windshield are harmless and do not cause any damage. However, if the windshield is already damaged or weakened, the buildup of debris and moisture can exacerbate the issue and potentially lead to cracks or chips.

Can I prevent interesting phenomena from forming on my windshield?

While it is nearly impossible to completely prevent interesting phenomena from forming on a windshield, regular cleaning and maintenance can help minimize their appearance. Keeping the windshield free of dirt and debris can also improve visibility while driving.

Can studying interesting phenomena on windshields provide any useful information?

Yes, studying interesting phenomena on windshields can provide valuable information for understanding weather patterns, air quality, and the effects of environmental factors on surfaces. It can also be used for educational and scientific purposes to better understand light refraction and other natural phenomena.