Ice patterns on the inside of my windshield

In summary, a person saw strange patterns on the inside of their windshield after getting into their car overnight. Some of the patterns looked like frost formed from when the person must have wiped the windshield, but there were also intricate patterns of intersecting straight lines. There were no cracks or scratches on the interior that the person could feel.
jack476
I got into my car last night saw these patterns on the inside. Some of them just look like frost formed on some streaks from when I must have wiped it, but then there all these really intricate patterns of intersecting straight lines. There were no cracks or scratches on the interior that I could feel.

This picture is the most interesting because the lines make a nearly perfect equilateral triangle near the center of the picture:
y9UkZmp.jpg

Zoomed out, you can see one of the places where it looked like frost formed by sticking to lines of grease or something left over by a wipe:
msZOjol.jpg

There was an interesting rhombus-like pattern also:
fC4aCPU.jpg

And also a hexagon pattern in the bottom center of this one:
mWSwLO9.jpg

Zoomed-out picture showing most of it (the date and time on the clock are both way off so ignore that):
bWzX5ph.jpg

I've never seen this before and I'm wondering what could have caused it? I posted this elsewhere and several replies (who apparently did not read when I said they were on the inside of the windshield) insisted that it was due to wiper fluid.

Given how many near-60-degree angles there are in the pictures, I assume it has something to do with the sixfold symmetry of how ice crystals and snowflakes form, somehow projected on to the inner surface of my windshield.

It was around -2 F out at about 60% humidity when I took these. I am going to see if the same thing happens again tonight since the weather will be about the same.

Attachments

• y9UkZmp.jpg
    y9UkZmp.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 921
  • msZOjol.jpg
    msZOjol.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,079
  • fC4aCPU.jpg
    fC4aCPU.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 715
  • mWSwLO9.jpg
    mWSwLO9.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 772
  • bWzX5ph.jpg
    bWzX5ph.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 823
Likes russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
What gets spoiled if I click on the spoiler? o0) I want to look at what I guess are pictures but I don't want to spoil anything.

Likes phinds
Spinnor said:
What gets spoiled if I click on the spoiler? o0) I want to look at what I guess are pictures but I don't want to spoil anything.

The pictures are very large so I nested them in spoiler tags.

Likes sophiecentaur and russ_watters
Another stupid question, inside or on the outside of your windshield?

Spinnor said:
Another stupid question, inside or on the outside of your windshield?

All of the patterns were on the inside. In the first two pictures, the lumpy pieces of ice on the right edge of the windshield are on the outside, but all of the lines and streaks were on the inside surface.

You might clean just the drivers side part of the window really good and see what effect that has, plus you will get to see a bit better.

I'm going to guess crystal structure (which glass isn't supposed to have) or polishing "scratches".

Do you keep the inside of your windshield religiously clean?

Engine coolant can spray on the interior of a windshield due to a malfunctioning defroster.

Likely you would have this stuff accumulate and have to be wiped off. Recall an experience where "weird" stuff had to wiped off the inside of the windshield?

jack476 said:
Hurry up and decode it to find out what Optimus Prime is trying to tell you.
350px-Movie2007_Sam_holds_up_glasses.jpg

Attachments

• 350px-Movie2007_Sam_holds_up_glasses.jpg
    350px-Movie2007_Sam_holds_up_glasses.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 840
Likes jack476, russ_watters and sophiecentaur

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-26_11-16-47.png
    upload_2019-1-26_11-16-47.png
    198.4 KB · Views: 836

1. Why does ice form on the inside of my windshield?

Ice forms on the inside of your windshield when the temperature inside your car is below freezing and there is moisture in the air. As the warm air inside your car comes into contact with the cold surface of the windshield, the moisture in the air condenses and freezes, creating ice.

2. How can I prevent ice from forming on the inside of my windshield?

To prevent ice from forming on the inside of your windshield, you can try using a dehumidifier in your car to reduce the moisture in the air. You can also try parking your car in a garage or using a windshield cover to keep the interior of your car warmer.

3. Is ice on the inside of my windshield dangerous?

Yes, ice on the inside of your windshield can be dangerous as it can obstruct your view while driving. It is important to remove the ice before driving to ensure clear visibility.

4. How can I safely remove ice from the inside of my windshield?

To safely remove ice from the inside of your windshield, you can use a scraper or a credit card to gently scrape the ice off. You can also try using a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol to melt the ice. Avoid using hot water as it can crack your windshield.

5. Does the type of car I drive affect the formation of ice on the inside of my windshield?

Yes, the type of car you drive can affect the formation of ice on the inside of your windshield. Cars with poor insulation or those that are parked in colder areas may be more prone to ice formation on the inside of the windshield.