Register to reply

Is There a Math Book Just About Transcendental Functions, Basic to Advanced Math?

Share this thread:
logan3
Dec28-12, 06:19 AM
P: 17
Is there a book that just goes over transcendental functions, from their introduction to advanced use? I'm looking for some more experience with thinking about the functions and gaining some insight into their deep relationships. Thank-you.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
SteamKing
Dec28-12, 09:14 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,731
Which transcendental functions in particular?
logan3
Dec28-12, 12:32 PM
All of them. But I'll take what I can get.

marcusl
Dec28-12, 04:05 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,084
Is There a Math Book Just About Transcendental Functions, Basic to Advanced Math?

Whittaker and Watson's "Modern Analysis" is a standard treatment. For even more depth, Erdelyi wrote a three volume set called "Higher Transcendental Functions" that is quite comprehensive.
fourier jr
Dec28-12, 06:46 PM
P: 948
i think lebedev had one also, on special functions
dextercioby
Dec29-12, 06:54 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,948
Special functions is a name given to the other functions than the so-called elementary ones. A direct connection to the <transcendental> attribute cannot be made, since there are elementary functions which are transcendental and special functions which are not (i.e. are algebraic, for example the orthogonal polynomials).
fourier jr
Dec29-12, 12:15 PM
P: 948
whoops, I thought they were just different names for the same class of functions
dextercioby
Dec29-12, 01:01 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
No, actually the subject of special functions is the part of mathematics I like most. Most of the known special functions are particular cases of general hypergeometric functions, especially Gauß ones.

As to the overall value, the 4th (latest, IIRC) edition of Whittaker & Watson should be the gem which would benefit the OP, so I 2nd the reccomendation.
logan3
Dec29-12, 06:50 PM
Thank-you so much for the help. I think the Whittaker/Watson book looks very good. Thank-you.
jasonRF
Dec29-12, 07:23 PM
P: 698
Whittaker and Watson is now old enough that legal electronic copies can be found online for free:
http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/details.php?ebook=183

A reader for that book format can be found for free online (don't remember what it is called).

Note that some of the modern "cheap" printings of this book are terrible - they are literally printouts of this electronic copy (which has some pages that are not scanned well). I bought this one and immediately returned it:
http://www.amazon.com/Course-Modern-...pd_sim_sbs_b_1

So if you want a hardcopy getting a used copy of an old printing seems to be the way to go. They can be found for cheap, too.

enjoy,

jason
dextercioby
Dec30-12, 05:14 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
<A reader for that book format can be found for free online (don't remember what it is called).>

One can find sources for downloading here http://djvu.org/resources/

Register to reply