What Should I Do During Church?

by Jow
Tags: church
Jow
Jan13-13, 06:12 PM
P: 67
I am a Roman Catholic and for various reasons I must go to church at least a couple of times a month. Even the most devout get bored in church and I, not being a religious person, get extremely bored. Can you think of anything I could do during church that wont look like I am doing anything. One thing I already do is practice my mandarin in my head (but that is a tad difficult because if I forget a word I can't look through my textbook). I also make fun of things said by the priest, but after a while that gets pretty boring as his homilies tend to be about similar things. Any suggestions would be great, thanks :)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
PhizKid
Jan13-13, 06:30 PM
P: 459
Listen to the Feynman Lectures audio
leroyjenkens
Jan13-13, 06:41 PM
P: 528
What a strange situation. You say you're a Roman Catholic, but not religious, and you have to go to church, but you're bored in doing so. Do you have to go because someone forces you to go?

russ_watters
Jan13-13, 06:51 PM
Mentor
P: 21,999

What Should I Do During Church?

I learned to lace my fingers together left-thumb on top.
chiro
Jan13-13, 06:58 PM
P: 4,570
Can't you just tell your close ones the truth and leave?
Astronuc
Jan13-13, 07:36 PM
Admin
P: 21,630
My brother and I would grab a donut and a cup of coffee, and then we'd proceed to the parking lot, where we would sit in the family car and listen to American Top 40 for an hour during the time that our parents, actually my mom, attended the service. After service, we'd join my mom, and go get more coffee and more snacks, or lunch.

My dad was a minister, but he served some small country churches about 90 minutes from home. On some Sundays, my brother and I would join my dad. We met a lot of nice folks, and the lunches were always good.
Containment
Jan13-13, 07:47 PM
P: 18
Just try to picture everyone naked! Should be some fun times.

Nah I'd say just use the time to relax and let go of some stress.
Jow
Jan13-13, 08:41 PM
I don't have a choice, I must go to church (I go to a Catholic School and I must keep up appearances).
MPKU
Jan13-13, 08:46 PM
P: 49
I was in the same boat, forced by my parents.. I just told them I was going and played Pokemon in my car. Hahaha

Hm, perhaps you could do wrist/hand/finger exercises or ab contractions. Pretty weird but, it will pass the time and the hand/finger exercises can increase dexterity and/or strength (useful for instruments).

Or, you could read the book of Pslams? (Not sure, I'm pretty sure at my church there was a hymnal or something with stories and such) I know you are not religious but there are some decent stories and lessons to be learned from the 'good book'. Plus you never know when random trivia will help you..
Astronuc
Jan13-13, 09:01 PM
Admin
P: 21,630
Quote Quote by Jow View Post
I don't have a choice, I must go to church (I go to a Catholic School and I must keep up appearances).
Raise your hand, and state that you have a question.

Ask the question in Aramaic.
Jow
Jan13-13, 11:15 PM
Quote Quote by MPKU View Post

Or, you could read the book of Pslams? (Not sure, I'm pretty sure at my church there was a hymnal or something with stories and such) I know you are not religious but there are some decent stories and lessons to be learned from the 'good book'. Plus you never know when random trivia will help you..
Don't worry, after 11.5 years of Catholic school, my knowledge of the good book and Catholic theology is formidable, though, I haven't found a good use for it, other than being able to anticipate the arguments made by Christians.
MPKU
Jan14-13, 12:09 AM
P: 49
Perhaps you should take the time to become more open-minded then...
Ryan_m_b
Jan14-13, 03:09 AM
Mentor
P: 5,341
The answer to your problems:

http://www.merch-bot.com/shop/bizarro-glasses/
Or
http://www.thegreenhead.com/2006/11/good-book-flask.php
BobG
Jan14-13, 06:16 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,275
I thought the whole point of having to constantly change positions (kneeling, standing, sitting) was so the congregation wouldn't get bored and fall asleep.
Ryan_m_b
Jan14-13, 06:18 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
I thought the whole point of having to constantly change positions (kneeling, standing, sitting) was so the congregation wouldn't get bored and fall asleep.
That and it's a good way of checking to see who has fallen asleep
julcab12
Jan14-13, 07:17 AM
P: 121
Quote Quote by Jow View Post
I am a Roman Catholic and for various reasons I......, but after a while that gets pretty boring as his homilies tend to be about similar things. Any suggestions would be great, thanks :)
Meditate/Relax? (Sad excuse for sleepiness. Hehe).. I have to... Our gang, few friends and colleague, even 'BOSS' and few relatives rarely miss one. It's a good thing right? ^^
ZombieFeynman
Jan14-13, 08:27 AM
PF Gold
P: 235
Time is only wasted in life if you waste it.
Ryan_m_b
Jan14-13, 09:24 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by ZombieFeynman View Post
Time is only wasted in life if you waste it.
Not true, I can think of many people who have wasted my time.

Register to reply