Who else is on summer break and already bored?

In summary: I'll shake it for fun. :)Students these days.*shakes cane*I actually did earlier! I went and played a couple rounds of frisbee golf with some friends, then went for a short hike. I spent most of my hike thinking about neutrino oscillations and neutrino beam generation too, so it was a productive afternoon. :smile:If you're looking for something to do, you should work out the survival probability of a neutrino in neutrino oscillations for the case of two neutrinos (if you've not done it before), three if you're feeling brave. I can even give you a problem sheet.
QuantumCurt
Education Advisor
Here I am 1 week into my summer vacation. Many students are overjoyed to be done with school for the next 3-4 months. Me? I'm just getting bored. During finals week I was so ready for break to get here, and after a week I'm finding myself doing little more than listlessly scrolling through Facebook.

Sounds like it's time to start doing some self-study.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got a car needs washin'.

Car's in the drive, pail & faucet in the back.

Third St. Toronto. Canada.

Gate's unlocked. No need to wake me.

Likes QuantumCurt
How can you be bored when you have PF? :)

Likes QuantumCurt
DaveC426913 said:
I got a car needs washin'.

Car's in the drive, pail & faucet in the back.

Third St. Toronto. Canada.

Gate's unlocked. No need to wake me.

Sounds like a plan. I charge $30/hr, plus a flat rate of $1000 to cover my transportation costs from Illinois to Toronto.

Greg Bernhardt said:
How can you be bored when you have PF? :)

A fair point. Maybe it's time for me to start getting a post together for the Insights. ;)

I was considering doing some kind of series of posts for the Insights blog throughout my internship at Fermilab this summer. Just some kind of general "this is why you should get an internship" kind of topic covering the general internship experience and the research I'm doing.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
QuantumCurt said:
A fair point. Maybe it's time for me to start getting a post together for the Insights. ;)
oh now we're talking! :)

The internship experience would be a huge hit!

Likes QuantumCurt
I think so. I know I have had a lot of questions (and still do) about what exactly an undergraduate internship like this entails. Throughout my time here at PF I've seen several people start threads with topics along these lines, so hopefully it could provide some useful information.

I'm arriving there on the 30th, so I'd likely have the first installment done a week or so after that.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
QuantumCurt said:
Sounds like a plan. I charge $30/hr, plus a flat rate of $1000 to cover my transportation costs from Illinois to Toronto.
Hey, you said you were bored, not broke. :biggrin:

Likes QuantumCurt and Greg Bernhardt
I'm a work-study, so school being out means that I'm also broke.

I accept PayPal. Send as a gift so we can avoid PayPal fees, if you don't mind.

Curt, oh, Curt. One day you will no longer have entire summers off of school or work. And on that day, I will find this thread, and send it to you. :rolleyes:

Likes QuantumCurt
e.bar.goum said:
Curt, oh, Curt. One day you will no longer have entire summers off of school or work. And on that day, I will find this thread, and send it to you. :rolleyes:

Yes, I suppose this is quite true. I've actually never really had entire summers off though. This is my first summer without any classes since I started college. I've had at least two classes the previous two summers. It's a bit weird not having school work for once. I'm ready to start my internship next week. I think that'll alleviate my boredom.

QuantumCurt said:
Yes, I suppose this is quite true. I've actually never really had entire summers off though. This is my first summer without any classes since I started college. I've had at least two classes the previous two summers. It's a bit weird not having school work for once. I'm ready to start my internship next week. I think that'll alleviate my boredom.

I think it will. So, in the meantime, relax for a bit. Go for a walk! Catch up on TV. Do whatever you do as a hobby.

Students these days.
*shakes cane*

Likes Borek and QuantumCurt
e.bar.goum said:
I think it will. So, in the meantime, relax for a bit. Go for a walk! Catch up on TV. Do whatever you do as a hobby.

Students these days.
*shakes cane*

I actually did earlier! I went and played a couple rounds of frisbee golf with some friends, then went for a short hike. I spent most of my hike thinking about neutrino oscillations and neutrino beam generation too, so it was a productive afternoon. :smile:

ETA - Your cane shaking skills are quite on point. You've been practicing lately, haven't you? :-p

QuantumCurt said:
I actually did earlier! I went and played a couple rounds of frisbee golf with some friends, then went for a short hike. I spent most of my hike thinking about neutrino oscillations and neutrino beam generation too, so it was a productive afternoon. :smile:

If you're looking for something to do, you should work out the survival probability of a neutrino in neutrino oscillations for the case of two neutrinos (if you've not done it before), three if you're feeling brave. I can even give you a problem sheet. :-p

^ This is the PF version of "if you're bored, I have chores for you" from parents.
QuantumCurt said:
ETA - Your cane shaking skills are quite on point. You've been practicing lately, haven't you? :-p

Every day.

Likes QuantumCurt
Last summers I always got bored. But this summer I'm going to read Schwartz's QFT and standard model. Also I've left some parts of the Padmanabhan's Gravitation: Foundations and Frontiers, unread. I should read those too. Then if I do good, I may move to Mukhanov's Introduction to quantum effects in gravity. I also want to further my skills in programming. So I have much to do and no time to get bored!

Likes QuantumCurt
I'm feeling brave. I feel like it would be in my best interest to take on such a chore since I haven't done this yet. So far I haven't actually done anything quantitative pertaining to neutrino oscillations. I'm currently reading through some papers on neutrino mixing and the PMNS matrix and such, so it would fall right in line with what I'm currently doing. If you've got a problem sheet, bring it on. :wink:

Physics undergraduates usually do research over the summer; you could look into that if it's not too late. It certainly has kept me busy the past two summers and will probably keep me busy this summer as well. Throw in a reading project and you'll be pretty much occupied the entire summer.

If I still feel bored I usually just try to learn some music theory. But the Eastern Gravity Meeting is coming up so I won't be bored for a while haha.

Likes QuantumCurt
QuantumCurt said:
If you've got a problem sheet, bring it on.

Check your inbox. I've given you the two neutrino case, you can generalise to the third from there. :)

Likes QuantumCurt
WannabeNewton said:
Physics undergraduates usually do research over the summer; you could look into that if it's not too late. It certainly has kept me busy the past two summers and will probably keep me busy this summer as well. Throw in a reading project and you'll be pretty much occupied the entire summer.

If I still feel bored I usually just try to learn some music theory. But the Eastern Gravity Meeting is coming up so I won't be bored for a while haha.

I've got that part covered already. I'm starting an internship at Fermilab in about a week, and I'm doing a more thorough self study of K&K's Introduction to Mechanics as well as a bit of a self study of coding in Python. I haven't started digging into them too much yet, but I think I'm going to spend a good chunk of tomorrow on K&K.

e.bar.goum said:
Check your inbox. I've given you the two neutrino case, you can generalise to the third from there. :)

Excellent! I'll give it a look now. It's going on 3 am here in my neck of the woods though, so it's going to be a quick look for tonight. Thanks!

QuantumCurt said:
I've got that part covered already. I'm starting an internship at Fermilab in about a week, and I'm doing a more thorough self study of K&K's Introduction to Mechanics as well as a bit of a self study of coding in Python. I haven't started digging into them too much yet, but I think I'm going to spend a good chunk of tomorrow on K&K.

That sounds like a fun and occupying plan to me! I don't think I'm going to be doing any work tomorrow myself haha. I'm just going to play guitar the entire day and listen to Pink Floyd until I get hungry :p

If you're really bored check out: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521774802/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There are some really fun problems in there to solve if you're bored at 4am and can't sleep (like right now).

Likes ShayanJ and QuantumCurt
This is an interesting book too.

Likes QuantumCurt
WannabeNewton said:
That sounds like a fun and occupying plan to me! I don't think I'm going to be doing any work tomorrow myself haha. I'm just going to play guitar the entire day and listen to Pink Floyd until I get hungry :p

That sounds like an excellent day. I haven't been playing guitar too much during the last couple of years since I started college. I've been getting back into it more lately though. And I rarely go more than a few days without listening to some Pink Floyd. :wink:

If you're really bored check out: https://www.amazon.com/200-Puzzling-...sr=8-1&keywords=200+puzzling+physics+problems

There are some really fun problems in there to solve if you're bored at 4am and can't sleep (like right now).

That looks like a cool book. I might have to pick that up. I often find myself bored late at night and thinking about physics. Something like this could be nice to have on hand.

Last edited:
Shyan said:
This is an interesting book too.

That really does look like an interesting book. After looking at the preview on Amazon I'm quite intrigued. I might have to place an order with Amazon soon.

QuantumCurt said:
That really does look like an interesting book. After looking at the preview on Amazon I'm quite intrigued. I might have to place an order with Amazon soon.
This is for those who look at physics as their girl friend, like me!:biggrin:

Likes QuantumCurt
Shyan said:

What?

*makes note never to buy any used books from shyan*

micromass said:
What?

DaveC426913 said:
*makes note never to buy any used books from shyan*
It seems you guys just think about the naked part of the relationship!
Anyway, just forget what I said.

Likes DaveC426913
Shyan said:

I don't think that book is going to sell very well then broski.

If physics was a girl, it would be the kind of girl I'd definitely bring home to meet my mom.

Sadly physics is not a girl. Which makes a girl who loves physics the next best thing. :wink:

:oldlaugh: You guys are killing me.

reevaluating reasons for past wives.

I suppose you are staying at Fermilab right now. No more boring days!
Best of luck.[emoji1]

Not quite yet. I arrive there tomorrow and start on Monday. I can't wait!

Likes dlgoff
I'm bored :p

Shyan said:

Physics is my mistress. Since my wife has degrees in physics, my wife and I sometimes have conversations about my mistress.

JorisL said:

This post is too random for me.

<h2>1. Who else is on summer break?</h2><p>Summer break varies depending on location and school schedules, so it is difficult to determine who else is on summer break. However, many students in elementary, middle, and high school typically have summer break from late May to late August.</p><h2>2. When does summer break start?</h2><p>Summer break usually starts in late May or early June, but the exact date varies depending on the school district. Some schools may have a different schedule, so it is best to check with your specific school for the exact start date of summer break.</p><h2>3. When does summer break end?</h2><p>Summer break typically ends in late August or early September, again depending on the school district. Some schools may have a different schedule, so it is best to check with your specific school for the exact end date of summer break.</p><h2>4. Why am I bored during summer break?</h2><p>Summer break can be a long period of time with no structured activities or responsibilities, which can lead to boredom. It is important to find activities or hobbies that you enjoy to keep yourself busy and entertained during summer break.</p><h2>5. What can I do to prevent boredom during summer break?</h2><p>There are many things you can do to prevent boredom during summer break. You can try picking up a new hobby, volunteering, taking a summer class, or planning fun outings with friends and family. It is also important to maintain a healthy balance of relaxation and productivity during summer break.</p>

1. Who else is on summer break?

Summer break varies depending on location and school schedules, so it is difficult to determine who else is on summer break. However, many students in elementary, middle, and high school typically have summer break from late May to late August.

2. When does summer break start?

Summer break usually starts in late May or early June, but the exact date varies depending on the school district. Some schools may have a different schedule, so it is best to check with your specific school for the exact start date of summer break.

3. When does summer break end?

Summer break typically ends in late August or early September, again depending on the school district. Some schools may have a different schedule, so it is best to check with your specific school for the exact end date of summer break.

4. Why am I bored during summer break?

Summer break can be a long period of time with no structured activities or responsibilities, which can lead to boredom. It is important to find activities or hobbies that you enjoy to keep yourself busy and entertained during summer break.

5. What can I do to prevent boredom during summer break?

There are many things you can do to prevent boredom during summer break. You can try picking up a new hobby, volunteering, taking a summer class, or planning fun outings with friends and family. It is also important to maintain a healthy balance of relaxation and productivity during summer break.