Subtracting numbers in two different txt files

In summary, the conversation is about subtracting numbers in one text file from another and getting the results in a new text file. Different options for achieving this task are suggested, such as using OpenOffice, writing a Python script, or using VBScript if using Windows. Other options mentioned are downloading Open or Libre Office, or using Google Docs spreadsheet application.
Arjani
I have two .txt files with a bunch of numbers in them, below each other, like this:

File 1:

File 2:

Now I want to subtract the numbers in file 2 from the numbers in file 1 and get the results in a new .txt file:

File 3:

Very simple. I was going to do it in Excel, but I don't have that right now. Does anyone know another easy way?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Use OpenOffice then. Or write Python script. Or post your problem giving enough information about OS and tools available to get a meaningful answer.

If you've got Windows, try VBScript. Read the 2 files into an array, add the elements of the arrays and write the results back out. Here's a link showing how to read and write files: http://easyprograming.com/index.php/vb-script/13-open-an-existing-text-file-in-vb-script

Last edited by a moderator:
You could download Open or Libre Office, or sign up for a GMail account and use the spreadsheet Google Docs application.

As a scientist, there are a few different approaches you could take to subtracting numbers in two different .txt files. One option would be to use a programming language such as Python or R to read in the numbers from the files and perform the subtraction operation. This would allow for a more automated and efficient process, especially if you have a large amount of data in your files.

Another approach could be to use a spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets. You could import the data from the .txt files and use the built-in functions to perform the subtraction. This would be a more user-friendly option for those who are not familiar with programming.

If you do not have access to a programming language or spreadsheet program, you could also manually subtract the numbers by hand or use a calculator. However, this may be time-consuming and prone to errors, especially if you have a large amount of data.

Overall, the method you choose will depend on your level of expertise and the amount of data you need to process. Regardless of the approach, it is important to carefully check your results and ensure that the subtraction was performed accurately.

Related to Subtracting numbers in two different txt files

1. How can I subtract numbers in two different txt files?

To subtract numbers in two different txt files, you can use a programming language such as Python or Java. These languages have built-in libraries and functions for reading and manipulating text files, making it easier to perform mathematical operations on the numbers within the files.

2. Can I subtract numbers in two different txt files manually?

Technically, yes, you can subtract numbers in two different txt files manually by opening the files in a text editor and performing the calculation yourself. However, this can be time-consuming and prone to human error, which is why using a programming language is a more efficient and accurate option.

3. Do the txt files need to have the same formatting for me to subtract the numbers?

No, the txt files do not need to have the same formatting for you to subtract the numbers. As long as the numbers are separated by a delimiter (such as a comma or tab), a programming language can read and extract the numbers for you to perform the subtraction.

4. What happens if one txt file has more numbers than the other?

If one txt file has more numbers than the other, the programming language will typically ignore the extra numbers and only perform the subtraction on the numbers that match in both files. Therefore, it is important to ensure that the numbers you want to subtract are in the same order and have the same formatting in both files.

5. Can I subtract numbers in two different txt files with different file extensions?

Yes, you can subtract numbers in two different txt files with different file extensions. As long as the files contain text and the numbers are separated by a delimiter, a programming language can read and perform the subtraction regardless of the file extension.