Find Out Who's Calling with a Truly Free Reverse Phone Lookup"

• Thread starter gmax137
  • Start date
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I miss the old reverse phone look up websites, where you could type in the phone number and get a name. Now, the ones I try all want my age, and/or push notifications, or 99 cents, or something. Not really "free" anymore. I get it, TAANSTAFL. I'm willing to look at static ads while on the site. Do any of you know of a site that gives the name without alot of BS?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try googling the phone number.

Likes gmax137
well, that was easy. Earlier today I foolishly searched the number using Bing; the hits were all pay to play. Thanks.

Baluncore said:
Try googling the phone number.
Yeah, that's his point. A simple Google search on the number usually returns lots of hits that require you to pay or look just plain spammy.

Sometimes the Google search will return a valid hit, like if the number is for a commercial business or something that Google knows about.

EDIT/ADD -- I just did a Google search on my cell phone number, and a number of the hits returned were to the wrong person/city/etc.

gmax137 said:
Do any of you know of a site that gives the name without alot of BS?
Not a website, but we have this app called TrueCaller. Not sure if it's available in your country, but its caller ID feature is pretty good, including reverse number lookup, even without premium. Google is definitely not the place for this type of search.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
jack action said:
This one seems to work also: https://www.numlookup.com/
I tried it for about a dozen numbers, got 4 or 5 good results.
Some were multiple possibilities, some no results, some just wrong.

At least it beats a sharp stick in the eye. :cry:

• Informative
Likes jack action
VOIP is commonly used to spoof numbers.

1. How does a reverse phone lookup work?

A reverse phone lookup works by using a database of phone numbers and their associated information, such as owner name and address. When a phone number is entered into the lookup tool, it searches the database to find a match and provides the associated information.

2. Is a reverse phone lookup truly free?

Yes, a truly free reverse phone lookup is possible. There are websites and apps that offer this service for free, but keep in mind that they may not have access to all phone numbers and their information.

3. Can I use a reverse phone lookup for any type of phone number?

Most reverse phone lookup tools can only provide information for publicly listed numbers, such as landlines and cell phones. Private and unlisted numbers may not be available in the database.

4. Is a reverse phone lookup legal?

Yes, a reverse phone lookup is legal as long as it is used for lawful purposes. It is not legal to use this service for harassing or stalking someone.

5. What can I do if a reverse phone lookup doesn't provide the information I need?

If a reverse phone lookup does not provide the information you are looking for, you can try using a different lookup service or contact your phone service provider for assistance. Keep in mind that some numbers may not be available in the database or may have incorrect information associated with them.