Optimizing Fluid Flow for Diesel Heads with Pressurized Intake Systems

• Automotive
  • Thread starter Fahlin Racing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow
In summary, Charles Fayette Taylor's ICE in Theory and Practice discusses the basic concepts of gas dynamics, and how internal energy (temperature and pressure) affects a gas's flow. He also mentions a body force, and how a turbocharger might produce it. From this, it seems likely that a turbocharger would increase the flow of a gas, which would be a good correlation.
Fahlin Racing
So recently I have started a project of porting diesel heads and see how well I can improve them and of course diving into fluid flow. Now, I know we are dealing with a different beast being pressurized dry-flow system, and I was told the valve job changes when you are turbocharged or supercharged. I was just wondering if somebody could teach me some fluid flow in N/A and forced induction siutuations. I have been told as well that its 'just get the air in and out like a N/A engine' but I just want to cover all points and view it from the physics side of things.

I had read Charles Fayette Taylor's ICE in Theory and Practice, the short appendix in his Vol 1. Throughout either volume of his (1 or 2) I haven't really seen much of anything specifying specifically to forced induction as far as fluid flow, however I could have missed something though, I am not exactly sure.

Realizing our CSA, layout and shape can effect the flow as well as the valve job (including valve) the convergent and divergent sides are equally if not most important using any style of valve. In this case just your basic poppet valve.

:D

Engineering news on Phys.org
A thought I had was looking at how the Venturi works and how the De Laval Nozzle does too. From what I am told, flow, the only real difference is the density of the charge but improving the general idea is the same as a N/A application.

Supercharged engines run hotter, so seat width needs to be adjusted. Diesels are fuel-based performance, not air-based, so consider that you can get a lot more exhaust with the same amount of air when the fuel supply jumps up. Overall though, it's just an air passage, but the exhaust has to work harder in diesels. HTH

After some reading of gas dynamics the mentioning of internal energy referring to the simple gases rely on energy within the system. Example given was temperature and pressure of what a gas inside a port depends on. After that they mention what is known as a 'body force', would a turbocharger produce the body force the gas relies on? would that be a good correlation since gravity can be used as body force?

What is pressurized intake flow?

Pressurized intake flow is the process of forcing air or a gas into a confined space, such as an engine or a laboratory chamber, at a higher pressure than the surrounding environment.

Why is pressurized intake flow important in scientific research?

Pressurized intake flow is important in scientific research because it allows for controlled and precise airflow into experimental setups. This is crucial for maintaining specific pressure conditions and ensuring accurate and reproducible results.

What are the potential dangers of pressurized intake flow?

The main danger of pressurized intake flow is the risk of explosion or implosion if the pressure levels exceed the structural limits of the equipment. Additionally, high-pressure air can cause serious injury if it comes into contact with skin or is inhaled.

How is pressurized intake flow measured and controlled?

Pressurized intake flow is typically measured using a pressure gauge or sensor, which can provide real-time readings of the air pressure. It can be controlled using valves, regulators, or other devices that regulate the flow and pressure of the air or gas being introduced into the system.

What are some common applications of pressurized intake flow in scientific research?

Pressurized intake flow is used in a wide range of scientific research applications, including aerodynamics, fluid dynamics, and combustion studies. It is also commonly used in industrial processes, such as chemical reactions and material testing, that require controlled atmospheric conditions.