Delayed power on to multiple systems with a single switch?

In summary: This way I can have the computer boot up, and then have the monitors power on 3-5 seconds later, without the computer coming on too early.
ViriiGuy
Hey gang,

I am trying to figure out a solution to a small problem i have.. and it is probably really simple, especially to you guys.

I want to be able to power on a series of monitors and then a PC, with a small delay, by turning the main power switch on.

To give a better understanding... I will have 120 volt power coming into the box. This will go to a splitter, or surge suppresor.. In that will be 3 monitors and a computer. The monitors do not remember their power state, so I will wire all three monitor's power switches to a single momentary switch, or something along those lines. Then the PC will also need a momentary switch to power it on..

What I would like to do, is have a single switch on the 120V line coming in... And have it so that when I flip that switch, it will send the signal to the three monitors to power on and then 3-5 seconds later, send the signal to the PC to power on.

I have a feeling that this is actually very simple and could be achieved with a relay, but I am having a hard time figuring out how. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks,
Randy

Engineering news on Phys.org
Did you look for commercial delays? A relay would be possible (but tricky to implement if it is not designed to operate with power sockets), but you need an additional (very small) electronic circuit for the delay. This circuit needs its own power supply as well.

Out of curiosity: Why do you need a delay?

No I have not looked into commercial delays as of yet. But certainly can.

I need the delay because if the computer powers on before the monitors, in it's current setup, then it messes up the configured displays. The computer looks for active monitor connections on it's 3 ports. If it does not see an active connection, it closes the port and continues to boot.

What is delayed power on to multiple systems with a single switch?

Delayed power on to multiple systems with a single switch refers to the ability to turn on multiple electronic devices at once, but with a time delay between each device powering on. This can be useful in situations where it is necessary to stagger the power on of multiple systems, such as in a data center or laboratory setting.

Why would delayed power on be needed for multiple systems?

Delayed power on can help prevent power surges and overloading of circuits, as well as reduce the strain on the power supply of the building. It can also help with troubleshooting and efficient use of resources, as not all systems may need to be powered on at the same time.

How does delayed power on work with a single switch?

Delayed power on with a single switch typically involves using a power distribution unit (PDU) that has the capability to set individual power on delays for each outlet. The PDU is connected to a single switch, which can then be used to turn on all of the systems connected to the PDU at once, but with a specified delay between each system powering on.

What are the benefits of using delayed power on for multiple systems?

Aside from preventing power surges and overloading, delayed power on can also help with energy efficiency. By staggering the power on of systems, it reduces the initial power demand and can help save energy in the long run. It also allows for a more controlled and organized power on process for multiple systems.

Are there any potential downsides to using delayed power on for multiple systems?

One potential downside is that if the delay is too long, it may cause inconvenience or delays in the operation of the systems. Additionally, if not properly configured, there is a risk of the delayed power on settings interfering with the functionality of the systems. It is important to carefully plan and test the delayed power on settings before implementing them.