Tutorials for Visual Basic Beginners

by bugatti79
Tags: basic, beginners, tutorials, visual
Share this thread:
bugatti79
Jan31-13, 02:44 PM
P: 660
Hi Folks,

I have Google'd the above topic but I haven't found anything satisfactory. I am an engineer and I want to learn Visual basic programming (no programming experience) to enhance my excel usability.

Can you advise any good online sources that is geared towards science engineering?

Thanks
Bugatti
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
TurtleMeister
Jan31-13, 08:00 PM
P: 757
Maybe VBA is what you're looking for. Try searching "visual basic for applications". For example: http://www.emagenit.com/excelvbabasicsengineering.htm. Don't know anything about it. I just found it with google.
bugatti79
Feb4-13, 04:45 PM
Quote Quote by TurtleMeister View Post
Maybe VBA is what you're looking for. Try searching "visual basic for applications". For example: http://www.emagenit.com/excelvbabasicsengineering.htm. Don't know anything about it. I just found it with google.
Ok, thanks. I came across this website, there is some useful information.

http://www.neng.usu.edu/cee/faculty/....htm#Examples1

How do I open the following extensions vbp, vbw and frm files?

Thanks

Mark44
Feb5-13, 12:31 AM
Mentor
P: 21,304
Tutorials for Visual Basic Beginners

They are all text files, so you can open them with any text editor. The most interesting of the lot is the frm file (the VB form), which contains the structure of the form that is displayed, as well as the VB code that executes when you interact with the form.

The vbp file seems to be some sort of configuration file, but I don't know what the vbw file is for.
TurtleMeister
Feb5-13, 06:02 PM
P: 757
Although VB and VBA have similar syntax, their usage is different. VBA cannot compile your code into a standalone executable program. It is only used within the target application environment, such as word or excel.

The vbp file is the visual basic project file. It contains the settings for you project, such as forms, modules and references. The vbw file is the visual basic project workspace file. It contains information about how you have your IDE setup. These files are used with VB, not VBA. You do not normally access them directly, the IDE manages them for you. If you're interested in learning VB, the first thing you should do is download the (free) VS Express from Microsoft. It contains the IDE you'll need to write your programs. The new 2012 version also has C# included, which I like because I use both. However, I do not like the look and style of the new version.
bugatti79
Feb13-13, 01:00 PM
ok,

Thanks for this info!

Register to reply