Calculating the force required to displace a tensioned cable

In summary: Hi Pongo38! Thanks for the response. I think I got it now. :)In summary, an elastic material is tensioned longitudinally and the cable axial force required to elongate the cable axially is 8365 N.
abhiramv
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out a method for calculating the force required to displace (axially by 5mm) an elastic material that is tensioned longitudinally at 105 N.

Material properties:
Cross-sectional area: 100mm^2
Stiffness, K = 1652 N/mm
Modulus, E = 0.68 GPa
Length of material, L = 41.9 mm

I need help finding a relationship between required force as a function of displacement, tension and other involved variables.

Thank you! Please let me know if you need any more information.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi abhiramv! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Hi tiny-tim, Thanks!

Sorry for the super delayed response.

I'm honestly not sure where to start. I've taken mechanics courses, so I was going to use a beam-bending model, but I wasn't sure how that would apply to an elastic material that is already tensioned.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you mean longitudinal displacement, then the answer is staring you in the face in your question. If you mean lateral displacement, that is a bit more complicated. So...badly worded question?

Hi Pongo38. Yes, I mean lateral displacement (In my original post I wrote axial displacement of a longitudinally tensioned elastic material).

Your value for k is meaningless unless it is better defined. I assume you mean central lateral force and corresponding 5mm deflection. Consider the triangle of forces at the central node representing equilibrium, and then draw a geometrically similar triangle for the geometry of the situation. Answer is then obvious. (at least it's a good first approximation and you can refine it from there)

abhiramv: Is this a schoolwork question? I am currently assuming you want the cable axial force required to elongate your cable axially (longitudinally). If your material remains in a range that is approximately linear, then the tensile force is approximately T2 = k*x, where k = cable axial stiffness, and x = cable axial elongation. E.g., if x = 5 mm, then T2 = k*x = (1652 N/mm)(5 mm) = 8260 N. If the cable was pretensioned to T1 = 105 N, then the new cable tension is T3 = T1 + T2 = 105 + 8260 = 8365 N. Let us know if this is not what you want.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the force required to displace a tensioned cable?

The formula for calculating the force required to displace a tensioned cable is F = T x sin(theta), where F is the force, T is the tension in the cable, and theta is the angle between the cable and the direction of force.

2. How do you determine the tension in a cable?

The tension in a cable can be determined by using the formula T = (F x L) / (2 x sin(theta)), where T is the tension, F is the force applied, L is the length of the cable, and theta is the angle between the cable and the direction of force.

3. Can the force required to displace a tensioned cable be calculated using only the angle and length of the cable?

No, the force required to displace a tensioned cable also depends on the tension in the cable. Therefore, the tension must be known in order to accurately calculate the force using the formula F = T x sin(theta).

4. How does the angle of displacement affect the force required to displace a tensioned cable?

The force required to displace a tensioned cable increases as the angle of displacement increases. This is because a larger angle results in a larger component of the force acting in the direction of the cable, increasing the tension and therefore the force required to displace it.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of force that can be applied to a tensioned cable before it breaks?

Yes, every cable has a maximum tension or breaking point that should not be exceeded. If the force required to displace the cable exceeds this limit, the cable may break or become permanently damaged.