Designing a 600 kg Lifter: Calculating Power Needs

In summary, the conversation discusses a platform that can lift 600 kg at 0.75 m/s up to a height of 37 m with a maximum angle of inclination of 87 degrees. The issue at hand is determining the power required for this application, and the calculations done so far have resulted in a power rating of 4.65 kW without the factor of safety. The conversation also mentions the use of a pulley and the possibility of incorporating it into the calculations. Further discussion includes the overall efficiency factor for the system and the inclusion of a factor of safety. The conversation ends with a calculation of the potential and kinetic energy involved in this device.
engineeringstudent01
TL;DR Summary
Having some issues calculating the power required to lift a specific mass on the platform of a furniture lifter.
I have a platform which can lift 600 kg (the platform itself weighs 95 kg so their combined mass is actually 695 kg) at 0.75 m/s up to around 37 m in height at a maximum angle of inclination of 87 degrees. The issue I'm coming across is determining the power required to lift said mass as the results I'm getting at the moment seem too small for such an application. Does the pulley need to be considered too at this point or is it negligible? I've tried to incorporate it too but it still seems as if I'm missing something.
What I've manage to calculate so far is the acceleration of the platform when it's accelerating or decelerating, the maximum tension in the cable (of diameter 8 mm) and the force required to lift the platform with its combined maximum payload.
Please do message me on this if you have any ideas on how this problem can be tackled.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How does this device look like (can you share any pictures or sketches) ? What kind of drive is used (just rotary motor with single pulley) ?

FEAnalyst said:
How does this device look like (can you share any pictures or sketches) ? What kind of drive is used (just rotary motor with single pulley) ?
I looks similar to the picture attached. It has a simple electric winch at the base, with a single pulley at the very top of the boom.

Attachments

• lifter.jpg
    lifter.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 114
engineeringstudent01 said:
The issue I'm coming across is determining the power required to lift said mass as the results I'm getting at the moment seem too small for such an application.
What answer did you get and how did you calculate it?
Does the pulley need to be considered too at this point or is it negligible? I've tried to incorporate it too but it still seems as if I'm missing something.
It will add inefficiency, but it is otherwise an energy conserving device, so you don't need to account for it in the first pass -- maybe use an overall efficiency factor for the system.

russ_watters said:
What answer did you get and how did you calculate it?
I'm getting a power rating of 4.65 kW without the factor of safety.
It will add inefficiency, but it is otherwise an energy conserving device, so you don't need to account for it in the first pass -- maybe use an overall efficiency factor for the system.
I'm using an overall factor of safety of 1.5 (apart form the cable which is higher). The calculations I've done so far are specifically without the factor or safety included so as to obtain maximum values. The factor of safety is going to be included later on.

[Mod edit: cleaned-up your quotes]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting a power rating of 4.65 kW without the factor of safety.
I get 5.1 kW. I multiplied the total mass by 9.81 N/kG and 0.75 m/s and then by the sine of an 87 degree angle (which is still pretty close to 1.0). We're in the ballpark though.

Acceleration is a different animal, and the force is f=ma, where a is 9.81 (gravity) + your acceleration. But 0.75 m/s is so slow I suspect you can ignore the acceleration.

Likes Baluncore
I have a platform which can lift 600 kg (the platform itself weighs 95 kg so their combined mass is actually 695 kg) at 0.75 m/s up to around 37 m in height at a maximum angle of inclination of 87 degrees.
Assume the ramp is vertical.
In one second the potential energy will increase by a maximum of;
PE = 695 kg * 9.8 m/s2 * 0.75 m = 5108.25 joule (per second) = 5.1 kW.

The kinetic energy is only; KE = ½·m·v² = 0.5 * 695 * 0.75² = 195.5 joule.

1. How do I calculate the power needs for a 600 kg lifter?

To calculate the power needs for a 600 kg lifter, you will need to know the weight of the lifter, the distance it needs to be lifted, and the time it needs to be lifted in. You can then use the formula: Power = (Force x Distance) / Time to calculate the power needed.

2. What is the maximum power output required for a 600 kg lifter?

The maximum power output required for a 600 kg lifter will depend on the distance it needs to be lifted and the time it needs to be lifted in. The maximum power output can be calculated using the formula: Power = (Weight x Distance) / Time. It is important to note that this is the maximum power output needed and the actual power needed may be less.

3. How can I determine the power source for a 600 kg lifter?

The power source for a 600 kg lifter will depend on the power needs calculated. You can choose from various power sources such as electric motors, hydraulic systems, or pneumatic systems. It is important to consider factors such as efficiency, cost, and availability when choosing a power source.

4. What are the safety considerations when designing a 600 kg lifter?

When designing a 600 kg lifter, safety should be a top priority. Some safety considerations include the stability of the lifter, the strength of the materials used, and the proper training and operation of the lifter. It is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations to prevent accidents and injuries.

5. How can I optimize the power needs for a 600 kg lifter?

To optimize the power needs for a 600 kg lifter, you can consider factors such as the weight and design of the lifter, the power source used, and the lifting technique. It is important to find a balance between power and efficiency to ensure the lifter operates smoothly and effectively.