Notation confusion; |\pi N; I, I_3> states

by Gregg
Tags: confusion, i3>, notation, states
Gregg
Feb17-13, 08:04 AM
P: 463
In my book it says for the ##\pi N ## state:

##|\pi N; \frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\rangle =|\pi ;1,1\rangle | N; \frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle##

firstly, does this mean:

##|\pi N; \frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\rangle =|\pi ;1,1\rangle \otimes | N; \frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle## ?

Not that it really matters, but next it says that you can use quantum mechanical shift ladder to get

##|\pi N; \frac{3}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle =-\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}|\pi ^+n\rangle +\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}| \pi ^0 p\rangle##

I'm really not too sure what this means, and the notation is not too clear to me, could someone explain it to me? In the title I and I_3 refers to isospin. I don't know what the N indicates, Baryon number? Is the tensor product a key to get the coefficients, are they similar to Clebsch-Gordon coefficients or what is the ladder operation for spin in terms of these vectors? I really don't have much understanding of the notation or implications at the moment.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
Bill_K
Feb17-13, 09:14 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,859
The N stands for Nucleon. The nucleon states with I=1/2 are proton (I3= +1/2) and neutron (I3 = -1/2). So the first line says the combined state with I = 3/2, I3 = 3/2 consists of π+ and proton.

To get the last line, we apply the operator I- that lowers total I3. It acts on both the pion and the proton. Lowering the proton to a neutron gives us the first term, while lowering the π+ to a π0 gives us the second term. As you say, the √'s in front of these terms are Clebsch-GordAn coefficients.
Gregg
Feb17-13, 09:56 AM
Quote Quote by Bill_K View Post
The N stands for Nucleon. The nucleon states with I=1/2 are proton (I3= +1/2) and neutron (I3 = -1/2). So the first line says the combined state with I = 3/2, I3 = 3/2 consists of π+ and proton.

To get the last line, we apply the operator I- that lowers total I3. It acts on both the pion and the proton. Lowering the proton to a neutron gives us the first term, while lowering the π+ to a π0 gives us the second term. As you say, the √'s in front of these terms are Clebsch-GordAn coefficients.

OK, so would a way to look at that operation be:

##I_- |\pi N; \frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\rangle = I_- |\pi ;1,1\rangle \otimes | N; \frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle + |\pi ;1,1\rangle \otimes I_-| N; \frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle## ?

Which will give me

## k_1 |\pi^0 p \rangle + k_2 | \pi^+ n\rangle ## ?

where the coefficients are CG coefficients?

Bill_K
Feb17-13, 02:07 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,859

Notation confusion; |\pi N; I, I_3> states

Yep, that's correct.
Gregg
Feb18-13, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the help

Register to reply