Gas in a gallon of hydrogen

by GTeclips
Tags: gallon, hydrogen
Share this thread:
GTeclips
Feb19-13, 06:39 PM
P: 23
Hello.

I'm just wondering how many cubic feet of gaseous hydrogen are in one gallon of liquid hydrogen. I know I'm not being too specific and that many variables are involved (temperature, atmospheric pressure... etc), but approximately how many are in a gallon? And yes, I have checked Google. I have found nothing useful.

I wish to perform small scale experiments with hydrogen as a lifting gas in small balloons, in case you're curious.

Sorry for not using metric, I'm used to U.S.

Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Synthesis produces new antibiotic: Scientists confirm potent synthesis of natural tetracycline
Scientists learn to control reactions with the shape of a rare-earth catalyst
Protein glue shows potential for use with biomaterials
Ygggdrasil
Feb19-13, 07:41 PM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,389
Well, the density of liquid hydrogen is 67.80 kg/m. From this value, you can find the number of moles of hydrogen in a gallon of liquid hydrogen, and from that number you can calculate the volume of gaseous hydrogen at your specified temperature and pressure.
chemisttree
Feb20-13, 12:39 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Without being too precise, there about 4L per gallon. Each mole of hydrogen (2g) should produce about 23 L of gas or 5.5 gal. You will need to determine the volume in cubic feet per gallon.

Register to reply