Register to reply

A probability question based on batting averages, need help

by shadedude123
Tags: average, batting, probabilities, probability
Share this thread:
shadedude123
Feb20-13, 06:16 PM
P: 10
Batter A has a batting average (probability of getting a hit) of .320. Batter B has a
batting average of .280. If both of them come to bat during an inning, calculate the
probability that neither one gets a hit. Assume that A getting a hit is independent of B
getting a hit.

My attempt:

I said that .320 is basically 320/1000 and that's 8/25 and .280 is 7/25. I said that the probability of them not getting a hit is 17/25 for Batter A and 18/25 for batter B. And I multiplied both of em to get 48.96% chance of both of em missing. Is this right? I'm not really a math type person but this question is for one of my science classes. Thanks for any help :)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
ImaLooser
Feb21-13, 12:05 AM
P: 570
Quote Quote by shadedude123 View Post
Batter A has a batting average (probability of getting a hit) of .320. Batter B has a
batting average of .280. If both of them come to bat during an inning, calculate the
probability that neither one gets a hit. Assume that A getting a hit is independent of B
getting a hit.

My attempt:

I said that .320 is basically 320/1000 and that's 8/25 and .280 is 7/25. I said that the probability of them not getting a hit is 17/25 for Batter A and 18/25 for batter B. And I multiplied both of em to get 48.96% chance of both of em missing. Is this right? I'm not really a math type person but this question is for one of my science classes. Thanks for any help :)
100% correct.
shadedude123
Feb21-13, 07:08 AM
P: 10
Thanks a lot :)

Register to reply