Equipment to use a stripboard?

• Thread starter Molecular
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equipment
In summary, the speaker is a former electrical engineer who wants to get back into amateur EE but is struggling without using a stripboard. They are looking for the specific name of the holder used for stripboards and wondering how to connect equipment without one. They ask if soldering would be necessary without a holder.
Molecular
I will apologize in advance for the simplistic nature of my question.

I did some electrical engineering many years ago but specialized down a different path and as such, have not done any EE in nearly five years. I've recently wanted to begin doing some amateur EE however, but creating more complicated circuits have proven to be quite the challenge without using a stripboard. My problem isn't so much knowing what equipment I need, but what the equipment in question is actually called so that I might find such equipment and purchase it online.

My main question is this: In the lab we used back when I was learning EE, we used stripboards, where one 'line' of holes were simply one node on a circuit diagram. We would plug these stripboards into a holder, and the holder would be made specifically for the size of the stripboards we were using and each node on the stripboard would have a "plug" on the holder in which we could connect things like oscilloscopes, voltage sources, ampere meters, signal generators and so on. It made the use of stripboards very easy.

Does anyone know what such a holder is called? Without using one, how would you go about connecting all the necessary equipment to your circuit? Would you not have to solder a wire to each node for every stripboard you use?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a stripboard and what is it used for?

A stripboard is a type of prototyping board that is used to build electronic circuits. It consists of a grid of holes connected by thin strips of copper, which can be cut to create connections between components.

2. How do I use a stripboard?

To use a stripboard, you will need to plan out your circuit design and then place the components onto the board in the desired locations. Use a soldering iron to solder the components onto the board, making sure to create connections between components by cutting the copper strips as needed.

3. What type of components can be used on a stripboard?

A stripboard can be used with a variety of electronic components, including resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors, and integrated circuits. It is important to choose components that are appropriate for the voltage and current requirements of your circuit.

4. Can a stripboard be reused?

Yes, a stripboard can be reused multiple times as long as the components are removed carefully without damaging the board. You may also need to clean the board with isopropyl alcohol to remove any solder residue before reusing it.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a stripboard?

Yes, it is important to wear safety glasses and use a soldering iron with caution to avoid burns. It is also recommended to work in a well-ventilated area and to unplug the soldering iron when not in use to prevent accidents.