Your opinion on this dating issue...

by JasonRox
Tags: dating, issue, opinion
Share this thread:
outsider
Aug9-05, 09:27 PM
P: 236
Quote Quote by Evo
Not necessarily, sometimes dating someone else is all that's needed to make you realize that the old relationship is what you want.

I agree with Moonbear, when I grew up, "steady" dating (of just one person) was not encouraged, some parents wouldn't even allow it, only letting their kids date as long as it wasn't the same person exclusively, "going steady" was a BIG deal. It was more common to date a number of people, no one exclusively.

Jason, I hope you can find the new girl and get to know her. It will help you to put your old relationship into perspective.
you make a good point... maybe i'm just old fashioned... i just don't believe in doing something new unless it is absolutely clear that i'm finished with the ex... i've never had the pleasure of going back to a finished relationship as there tends to be baggage that one wasn't willing to live with on either side...

i've learned that some things about females just come with the package if a male decides to stay straight... and that is the learning process... if i knew this when i was a kid, i would still be with my first love.... hahaha
JasonRox
Aug9-05, 09:42 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,329
I know what you mean by going steady.

I read the book Seveenth Summer, written in the 40's.

The girl went on a date with another guy while going steady with another. After that one date, she decided the guy she had now was much better.

Now, that I look at it into this perspective, everything is so much more clear.

Note: A friend of hers (that I know) gave me her e-mail. I e-mailed her, and let her know I was interested in talking and that I'm usually on MSN during so and so time.

Lately, I've been using this website for relationship help. Definitely the best place to go online. All good opinions that come from experience. :)
Evo
Aug9-05, 09:50 PM
Mentor
P: 26,415
Quote Quote by JasonRox
I know what you mean by going steady.

I read the book Seveenth Summer, written in the 40's.
I just want to make something PERFECTLY CLEAR I was not born then. People were still going steady for decades after that.

You seem to have a pretty good head on your shoulders, I think things will work out for you.
Moonbear
Aug9-05, 09:53 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by Evo
I just want to make something PERFECTLY CLEAR I was not born then. People were still going steady for decades after that.

You seem to have a pretty good head on your shoulders, I think things will work out for you.
Everyone thinks we're ancient! This is what I get for having twin sisters who are older than I am!
Evo
Aug9-05, 09:59 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Moonbear
Everyone thinks we're ancient! This is what I get for having twin sisters who are older than I am!
Sorry.

Moonbear is our MUCH YOUNGER twin sister! She's barely in her twenties!!!!
JasonRox
Aug9-05, 10:13 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,329
Haha, I didn't think you were that old, or any of you.

I always pictured you all as mid 30's or so. I don't think I'm missing by a long shot, not sure at all.

I just mentionned the date of the book.

I believe the whole going steady thing died in the mid 80's. Not sure, because I wasn't really around then either.

I like the idea of going steady much better. It's more casual, and from reading the book... much cuter!
Evo
Aug9-05, 10:18 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by JasonRox

I always pictured you all as mid 30's or so. I don't think I'm missing by a long shot, not sure at all.

I believe the whole going steady thing died in the mid 80's. Not sure, because I wasn't really around then either.

I like the idea of going steady much better. It's more casual, and from reading the book... much cuter!
I JasonRox. <stuffs a "get out of banning free" card into JasonRox's computer>
Moonbear
Aug9-05, 10:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by JasonRox

Okay, you're off the hook. "Going steady" was still going steady in the 80s, but I don't really know when it faded out of existence as a big deal since I was hitting that age when people were starting to pair up for long-term relationships and marriage anyway, so didn't take notice that the younger generation had undergone such a shift in dating activity. Now the term "dating" seems to have replaced "going steady," so it's confusing to distinguish between going on a date or dates vs. dating.
loseyourname
Aug9-05, 11:14 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 3,634
Quote Quote by Smurf
I woulda boned her.
She would have been a statutory rapist. Now that's hot.

Register to reply