Integral Question (Riemann Sums)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the general formula for a Riemann sum for a Riemann integral and using it to find a Riemann integrable function on the interval [0,1]. The conversation also includes a solution attempt involving dividing the numerator and denominator by n^2 and clarifying the final answer as x/(x^2+1).
altcmdesc
This is from a final exam on the MIT Open Course Ware site for Single Variable Calculus

Homework Statement

(a)(5 points) Write down the general formula for the Riemann sum approximating the Riemann integral,

[tex]\int f(x)dx[/tex]

for the partition of [0,1] into n subintervals of equal length. Evaluate the function at the right endpoints of the subintervals.

(b)(5 points) Find a Riemann integrable function [tex]f(x)[/tex] on the interval [0, 1] such that the formula for the Riemann sum from (a) equals the following formula,

n
[tex]\sum \frac{k}{k^{2}+n^{2}}[/tex]
k=1

Show all work.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've figured out a) to be:

n
[tex]\sum \frac{f(k/n)}{n}[/tex]
k=1

Using this result, on b) I get as far as:

[tex]f(k/n)[/tex]=[tex]\frac{kn}{k^{2}+n^{2}}[/tex]

But I can't get any farther.

Physics news on Phys.org
Divide the numerator and denominator by n^2. I.e. try to write the expression using only k/n.

Ah, I get it. x/(x2-1). Thanks

altcmdesc said:
Ah, I get it. x/(x2-1). Thanks

Um, x/(x^2+1), right? You're welcome.

1. What is the definition of an integral?

The integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. What are Riemann sums?

Riemann sums are a method of approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and adding up their individual areas.

3. How do Riemann sums relate to integrals?

Riemann sums are the basis for calculating integrals. As the number of rectangles used in the approximation increases, the Riemann sum becomes more accurate and approaches the actual value of the integral.

4. What is the difference between a left, right, and midpoint Riemann sum?

In a left Riemann sum, the height of each rectangle is determined by the left endpoint of the interval. In a right Riemann sum, the height is determined by the right endpoint. In a midpoint Riemann sum, the height is determined by the midpoint of each interval. These different methods can result in slightly different approximations of the integral.

5. How can Riemann sums be used to solve real-world problems?

Riemann sums can be used to approximate the total value of a quantity over a given interval. This can be useful in calculating quantities such as distance, volume, or revenue in real-world scenarios.