Complex Eigenvectors, How do I check?

In summary, when checking for eigenvalues and eigenvectors, you can use the formula A\vec{v}= \lambda\vec{v} to verify your work. If your calculator does not accept complex numbers in matrices, you may need to upgrade to a more powerful calculator or check the equation by hand. The equation checks that you have found the correct eigenvector.
Unassuming
I have come to a problem where I have Eigenvalues = 2,2i,-2i and my Eigenvectors have i's in them. I usually check my work using my calculator to perform the operation of,

[tex]S^{-1}AS=J[/tex]

where S is my Eigenvector matrix, A is my original.

I then see what my J matrix looks like. It should look like my eigenvalues coming down the diagonal in the same order of my vectors that were in S.

My calculator doesn't accept the number i, in a matrix though! Is there another way to check my work here?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If your operator or matrix is a, an eigenvalue is [itex]\lambda[/itex], and a corresponding eigenvector is [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] then you check it by seeing if [itex]A\vec{v}= \lambda\vec{v}[/itex].

If your calculator does matrix calcullations, and accepts complex numbers (the TI-85, for example, allows you to enter complex numbers as "(a, b)" for a+ bi), I would be very surprised if it did not allow you to use complex numbers in matrices. If the matrices are not worse than 3 by 3 or 4 by 4 you can always check [itex]A\vec{v}= \lambda\vec{v}[/itex] by hand.

I hal

I have the TI-83 which I do not think does Complex Numbers in Matrices. I was thinking about upgrading my calculator to a more powerful unit though.

Also, when I check [itex]A\vec{v}= \lambda\vec{v}[/itex].

I am checking that I have found the right Eigenvector, correct?

Also, thank you.

Yes, that is, after all, the definition of "eigenvector".

Related to Complex Eigenvectors, How do I check?

1. What are complex eigenvectors and why are they important?

Complex eigenvectors are a type of vector that is associated with a complex eigenvalue of a square matrix. They are important because they allow us to solve for complex solutions in systems of equations, which can have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do I find the complex eigenvectors of a matrix?

To find the complex eigenvectors of a matrix, you first need to calculate the eigenvalues of the matrix. Then, for each eigenvalue, you can solve for the corresponding eigenvector by plugging it into the equation (A - λI)x = 0, where A is the matrix, λ is the eigenvalue, and x is the eigenvector.

3. How do I check if a vector is a complex eigenvector?

To check if a vector is a complex eigenvector, you can plug it into the equation (A - λI)x = 0, where A is the matrix, λ is the eigenvalue, and x is the vector. If the equation holds true, then the vector is a complex eigenvector of the matrix.

4. Can a matrix have both real and complex eigenvectors?

Yes, a matrix can have both real and complex eigenvectors. This is because a complex eigenvalue can have both a real and imaginary part, and the corresponding eigenvectors can also have both real and complex components.

5. What is the difference between real and complex eigenvectors?

The main difference between real and complex eigenvectors is that real eigenvectors only have real components, while complex eigenvectors can have both real and imaginary components. Additionally, real eigenvectors are associated with real eigenvalues, while complex eigenvectors are associated with complex eigenvalues.