Forces, Newton's Second Law

In summary, a 3.76 kg mass is acted upon by forces of 10.6 N north, 20.8 N east, and 14.3 N south on an air table. The magnitude of its acceleration can be found by combining the north and south forces, and then using the formula a=F/m. The direction of the acceleration can be determined by using the formula tan theta = 20.8 / 3.7 and reporting the result in degrees counterclockwise from east.
physics_10
Forces of 10.6 N north, 20.8 N east, and 14.3 N south are simultaneously applied to a 3.76 kg mass as it rests on an air table. What is the magnitude of its acceleration?

I tried
F=√(10.6²+20.8²)
a=F/m

..however this is incorrect. Can someone please tell me where I am going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, physics_10. Glad to see another high school student here. I'm a retired high school teacher trying to keep that feeling of helping out.

It looks like you just forgot to include the 14.3 N south. Combine the north and south forces before you work out the combination of the north south and east west forces.

You have 10.6N acting north and 14.3N acting South.The resultant of these two is not 10.6.

Hello Delphi 51.You beat me to it.

okay thank you !
& how would i find out the direction of the acceleration in degrees? tan theta = 20.8 / 3.70?

Yes. Careful reporting that direction - it is the number of degrees east of south. The more standard way of reporting is to find the number of degrees east of north. That would be 180 minus the number you get from arctan(20.8/3.7).

hmm for some reason i am getting the incorrect answer. The question states: What is the direction of the acceleration in degrees? (Take east to be 0 degrees and counterclockwise to be positive.)

Did you get 80 degrees for invTan(20.8/3.7)?
That's 80 degrees counterclockwise from south, right?
Same as 10 degrees clockwise from east.
Or -10 degrees counterclockwise from east.
Or 350 degrees counterclockwise from east.

Last edited:

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In other words, the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it at a certain rate.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in newtons (N). One newton is equal to the force that will accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

3. What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law, force is directly proportional to mass and acceleration. This means that if either the mass or acceleration of an object increases, the force needed to accelerate it will also increase.

4. How does Newton's Second Law apply to everyday life?

Newton's Second Law can be seen in everyday activities such as riding a bike, driving a car, or throwing a ball. The amount of force needed to move an object is affected by its mass and the acceleration needed to move it at a certain speed.

5. Can Newton's Second Law be applied to non-linear motion?

Yes, Newton's Second Law can be applied to both linear and non-linear motion. In non-linear motion, the force acting on an object is constantly changing, which affects its acceleration. However, the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration still holds true.