Finding the angle in which the resultant force points

In summary, the magnitude of the acceleration of a 3.93kg mass under the forces of 11.8N north, 19.2N east, and 15.9N south on an air table is 5.0 m/s^2 and the direction of the acceleration is -12.0 degrees from the positive x-axis.
alexi_b

Homework Statement

Forces of 11.8N north, 19.2N east, and 15.9N south are simultaneously applied to a 3.93kg mass as it rests on an air table. What is the magnitude of its acceleration?
What is the direction of the acceleration in degrees? (Take east to be 0 degrees and counterclockwise to be positive. Enter an angle between -180 degrees and +180 degrees.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find out the answer to the first part of the equation which was 5.0m/s^2 but the angle i Have no idea to get. I just used the tan inverse of my components and got 14.3 degrees but it wasnt right. I also tried -14.3 but no luck there either.

Any help would be appreciated![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
alexi_b said:

Homework Statement

Forces of 11.8N north, 19.2N east, and 15.9N south are simultaneously applied to a 3.93kg mass as it rests on an air table. What is the magnitude of its acceleration?
What is the direction of the acceleration in degrees? (Take east to be 0 degrees and counterclockwise to be positive. Enter an angle between -180 degrees and +180 degrees.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find out the answer to the first part of the equation which was 5.0m/s^2 but the angle i Have no idea to get. I just used the tan inverse of my components and got 14.3 degrees but it wasnt right. I also tried -14.3 but no luck there either.

Any help would be appreciated![/B]
What are your components? If they are not in the first or the fourth quadrant, taking the inverse tan will not give the correct angle (assuming they want the angle relative to the positive x axis)

nrqed said:
What are your components? If they are not in the first or the fourth quadrant, taking the inverse tan will not give the correct angle (assuming they want the angle relative to the positive x axis)

Well i just redid it and I got 19.2 deg (east) and 4.1 deg (south) so it is in the fourth quadrant still. How do you propose I fix this?

alexi_b said:
Well i just redid it and I got 19.2 deg (east) and 4.1 deg (south) so it is in the fourth quadrant still. How do you propose I fix this?
I am not sure what you mean by "19.2 deg (east) and 4.1 deg (south)". You mean 19.2 degrees east of south?? And 4.1 degrees south of east?? But these two angles should add up to 90 degrees so I am confused. What are your components?

nrqed said:
I am not sure what you mean by "19.2 deg (east) and 4.1 deg (south)". You mean 19.2 degrees east of south?? And 4.1 degrees south of east?? But these two angles should add up to 90 degrees so I am confused. What are your components?
im terribly sorry, its late where I am, what i meant to say was 19.2 N (east) and 4.1 N (south)

alexi_b said:
im terribly sorry, its late where I am, what i meant to say was 19.2 N (east) and 4.1 N (south)
No problem! We must both be on the east coast, it is quite late here too :-)

Ok, your components are good. But recalculate the angle, it does not give -14.3 degrees. Did you use an arctan?

nrqed said:
No problem! We must both be on the east coast, it is quite late here too :-)

Ok, your components are good. But recalculate the angle, it does not give -14.3 degrees. Did you use an arctan?
Yeah I did recalulate and it gives me 12.05 or 12.0 because of significant digits. And i used tan^-1 to find my angles

alexi_b said:
Yeah I did recalulate and it gives me 12.05 or 12.0 because of significant digits. And i used tan^-1 to find my angles
Good. I get this too. So the answer should be -12.0 degrees.

Likes alexi_b
nrqed said:
Good. I get this too. So the answer should be -12.0 degrees.
thank you!

1. How do you calculate the angle of the resultant force?

The angle of the resultant force can be calculated by using the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent. The angle can be found by taking the inverse of the appropriate function, depending on the given information.

2. What is the significance of finding the angle of the resultant force?

The angle of the resultant force is significant because it determines the direction in which the object will move. It is an important aspect in understanding the motion and forces acting on an object.

3. Can the angle of the resultant force be negative?

No, the angle of the resultant force cannot be negative. It is always measured in a counterclockwise direction from the positive x-axis. If the angle is negative, it can be converted to a positive angle by adding 360 degrees or 2π radians.

4. How does the angle of the resultant force relate to the individual forces?

The angle of the resultant force is dependent on the magnitudes and directions of the individual forces. It can be calculated using the law of cosines or the law of sines.

5. What happens if the angle of the resultant force is zero?

If the angle of the resultant force is zero, it means that the forces are acting in the same direction and the magnitude of the resultant force is equal to the sum of the individual forces. The object will move in the direction of the forces with no turning effect.