Three Models of Light: Definition & Use

In summary, the conversation discusses the three models of light: the ray model, the wave model, and the quantum model. The ray model is limited in its ability to explain diffraction, interference, and polarization, but is suitable for simple applications such as lenses and mirrors. The wave model incorporates all the aspects of the ray model and also considers diffraction, interference, and polarization, making it more suitable for applications such as microscopy and designing anti-reflection coatings. The quantum model is the most complex and is used to understand atomic spectra, non-linear optics, and laser design. It is not commonly used unless necessary. The conversation also discusses the limitations of each model and when they are most suitable to use.
shayaan_musta
Hello experts!

I was taking class of optical fiber and communication.

My teacher was teaching the class via projector and slides (transparencies). He taught us light models and he just changed his slide after reading the few lines. I was not able to note down the main points of the slides.

The topic was models of light.
1) Ray model of light
2) Wave model of light
3) Quantum model of light

My questions are:
1) explain these 3 models with definition
2) obviously we can't use any model everywhere, so where to use the specific model? How to know when to use which one?

Thank you all.

Science news on Phys.org
1. Ray model: light travels as a ray, in a straight line from here to there.

This model works fine for many applications, but fails to consider diffraction. Thus when you have small objects (like microscopic work) you will want to move to the wave model. The ray model also lacks interference; it also lacks polarization.

As you can see the ray model is a bit limited. But you can go a long ways with lenses and mirrors with ray optics.

2. Wave model: now you have diffraction and interference. Light can "bend" around corners. The theory of diffraction can be used to construct better microscopes. Fourier optics (spatial filtering) and interference filters can be studied. Better mirrors (dielectric) can be designed, as well as non-reflective coatings - these use interference effects. It is also possible to include polarization, but the wave model must be based on the physical waves from Maxwell's equations: lateral not longitudinal.

3. Quantum theory of light: now you can understand atomic spectra, and perhaps compute index of refraction and other "bulk parameters" of materials. The photo-electric effect can be understood, as well as most of non-linear optics. Lasers can be designed and utilized in precise experiments. All of these depend upon an understanding of the quantum properties of light.PS: Next time pay better attention in class! Also read the text prior to the lecture. Then you are prepared for the material which you see, and can ask appropriate questions.

Likes 1 person
PS: Next time pay better attention in class! Also read the text prior to the lecture. Then you are prepared for the material which you see, and can ask appropriate questions.

I try to understand and pay attention to the lectures but everytime students are not wrong. Some time teacher must consider either he or she was able to deliver for what he has been chosen. Well, I try my best.

Here is a statement, I want to know whether it is true or false?
When dimensions of the object are much larger than the wavelength of the light then we use ray optics
Is this true? This is what I get in the lecture and I noted it down in my notebook. But I am not sure about this. If this is true then also tell me which model is suitable to use for dimensions smaller than the wavelength of the light and which model is suitable to use for dimensions which are comparable to the wavelength of the light?
If my statement is false then kindly guide and correct me.

Thank you very much for you help sir.

Ray optics breaks down for small objects or scratches/bumps/features which approach the scale of the wavelength of light. It also breaks down at sharp corners, small holes, etc.

So if the dimensions are much larger than the wavelength of light, and there are no sharp corners, or atomic effects, then yes, you can use ray optics.

For example, eye glasses, mirrors, windows, parabolic reflectors in electric torches - all of these can be modeled with ray optics.

Likes 1 person
OK sir, thank you very much. Very good explanation.

And is there any kind of limitations for wave model and quantum model too like the ray model that it can be used when dimensions are much larger than the wavelength of light? Huh?

The ray model is the most limited; the wave model incorporates all of the results of the ray model, plus diffraction, interference, and polarization; the quantum model incorporates all of the previous results.

You use the ray model when you can because it is simple to visualize and calculate.

Otherwise the wave model is used; the mathematical machinery is more involved, and requires more information about the materials, etc. For most applications the wave model is more than sufficient. For example, microscopy, fiber optics, designing anti-reflection coatings.

The mathematical machinery for quantum optics is more involved; I studied this in graduate school. Though some of the results can be plucked from quantum optics and used separately, calculations from the ground up are very involved. Thus you would not use it unless required.

Likes 1 person
I wouldn't say that there are three models of light. Rather 3 is the most fundamental description of light we know. 2 is an approximation for systems with large numbers of photons while 1 is an further approximation in the case that all objects (lenses, etc) are much larger than the wavelength of the light.

Likes 1 person
Thank you all. Thanks a lot of you all.

1. What are the three models of light?

The three models of light are the wave model, the particle model, and the wave-particle duality model. The wave model describes light as a series of electromagnetic waves, while the particle model describes light as a stream of particles called photons. The wave-particle duality model combines aspects of both models and describes light as having properties of both waves and particles.

2. How are the three models of light used in scientific research?

The three models of light are used to explain and predict the behavior of light in various situations. The wave model is often used to understand the phenomena of interference and diffraction, while the particle model is used to understand the photoelectric effect. The wave-particle duality model is used to explain the behavior of light in experiments such as the double-slit experiment.

3. What is the difference between the wave and particle models of light?

The main difference between the wave and particle models of light is the way they describe the nature of light. The wave model sees light as a continuous wave of energy, while the particle model sees light as a stream of discrete particles. Additionally, the wave model is used to explain certain behaviors of light, such as diffraction and interference, while the particle model is used to explain others, like the photoelectric effect.

4. How does the wave-particle duality model reconcile the wave and particle models of light?

The wave-particle duality model suggests that light has properties of both waves and particles, depending on the specific situation. This means that in some experiments, light may behave like a wave, while in others it may behave like a particle. This model helps to explain the seemingly conflicting behaviors of light observed in different experiments.

5. What are some real-world applications of the three models of light?

The three models of light have numerous real-world applications. The wave model is used in technologies such as radio waves, microwaves, and X-rays, while the particle model is used in technologies such as lasers and solar panels. The wave-particle duality model has been crucial in the development of quantum mechanics and has led to advancements in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.