Can Light Rays Cross Near a BH? - Simulated w/ Matlab

In summary: The two parallel light rays pass near a Kerr black hole with an angular momentum pointing towards the ##z## direction. The rays start at ##1\times 10^3~\rm{m}## and ##-1\times 10^3~\rm{m}## and end at ##-667~\rm{m}## and ##667~\rm{m}##, respectively, showing that they cross each other. The parameters of the black hole and initial conditions of the rays are given, and the final positions and wave vectors are calculated. The increase in wave number is attributed to a calculation error.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
When I simulate that two parallel light rays pass near a Kerr BH, the result shows that they cross each other. Is it possible?
Hi. I use Matlab to simulate that two parallel light rays pass near a Kerr BH. The angular momentum of the BH points to the ##z## direction. The ##z## components of the start points of the two rays are ## 1\times 10^3 ~\rm{m}## and ##- 1\times 10^3 ~\rm{m}##, respectively. The result, as shown in the figure, indicates that the rays cross each other. In the end, the ##z## components of the two rays are ##-667~\rm{m}## and ##667~\rm{m}##, respectively.

I am not sure if this is possible or not. Maybe there are some errors in my model. How can I check if my result is correct or not?

Thanks.
untitled.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't really explained your initial conditions, so it's hard to comment. I think your rays start symmetrically above and below the equatorial plane. What are their initial directions, and what are the mass and angular momentum parameters of the hole?

@Ibix

Sorry, I thought that is not important, so I did not mention it. Here are the parameters (all are in Cartesian coordinates):

mass of BH is ##1.988\times10^{30}~\rm{kg}=1.47\times10^3~\rm{m}## ;
angular momentum per unit mass is ##0.9## (along z-axis);
position of BH is ##(0,~0,~0)##;
initial positions of rays are ##(-1\times 10^4,~2\times 10^4,~1\times 10^3)## and ##(-1\times 10^4,~2\times 10^4,~-1\times 10^3)##, respectively;
both initial wave vectors are ##(1.03\times 10^7 ,~1.82\times 10^6 , ~ 0)##;

The results are:
the final positions of rays are ##(9.12\times 10^4,~1.55\times 10^3,~-667)## and ##(9.12\times 10^4,~1.55\times 10^3,~667)##, respectively;
the final wave vectors are ##(1.05\times 10^7,~-2.28\times 10^6,~-1.90\times 10^5)## and ##(1.05\times 10^7,~-2.28\times 10^6,~1.90\times 10^5)##, respectively.

The wave number is increased by ##2.36\times10^5~\rm{m^{-1}}##, but I think that is due to the calculation error of the ode45 algorithm.

Last edited:
This is gravitational lensing.

Likes vanhees71

1. Can light rays actually cross near a black hole?

Yes, light rays can cross near a black hole. Black holes have such a strong gravitational pull that they can bend the path of light, causing it to curve around the black hole and cross near its event horizon.

2. Is the simulation of light rays crossing near a black hole done using Matlab accurate?

Yes, the simulation of light rays crossing near a black hole using Matlab is accurate. Matlab is a widely used software in the scientific community and is capable of accurately modeling the effects of gravity on light rays.

3. Are there any observable effects of light rays crossing near a black hole?

Yes, there are observable effects of light rays crossing near a black hole. These include gravitational lensing, where the light from distant objects is distorted and magnified as it passes near the black hole, and the formation of an "accretion disk" of gas and dust around the black hole.

4. Can light rays escape a black hole once they have crossed near it?

No, once light rays have crossed near a black hole, they cannot escape. The gravitational pull of the black hole is so strong that even light, which is the fastest moving object in the universe, cannot escape its grasp.

5. How does the simulation of light rays crossing near a black hole help us understand the behavior of black holes?

The simulation of light rays crossing near a black hole helps us understand the behavior of black holes by visually demonstrating the effects of gravity on light. It allows us to study and analyze the complex interactions between light and a black hole in a controlled and repeatable manner.