Why is my calculated atmospheric pressure different from the given value?

• Thread starter timon00
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary, the normal atmospheric pressure is 1.013 x 10^5 and a storm can cause the height of the barometer of mercury to reduce by 20.0 mm. To determine the atmospheric pressure, we can use the formula P = \rho (gh + \frac{1}{2}v^2) where P is pressure, \rho is density, g is gravity, h is height, and v is velocity. For the second problem, we need to determine the manometric pressure required in the tank for the water burst to have a speed of 30 m/s when the water level is 0.5 m below the water pump. Using the formula, we get a result of 4.55
timon00
16. The normal atmosphercic pressure is 1.013 x 10^5. A storm causes that the height of the barometer of mercury reduce 20.0 mm form the normal height. What is the atmosferic preasurre ? ( the density of mercury is 13.59 g/cm3

50. Out of a fire extingisher comes out water under air presurre. What manometric pressure is required in the tank for the water burst to have a speed of 30 m/s when the water level is 0.5 m below the water pump.

as hard as i try i really can't solve is problems can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
i got the first one , can anyone help me with the other one?

timon00 said:
50. Out of a fire extingisher comes out water under air presurre. What manometric pressure is required in the tank for the water burst to have a speed of 30 m/s when the water level is 0.5 m below the water pump.
It is not entirely clear on the question but it seems that the air pressure has to lift the water .5 m and send it out at 30 m/sec.

Think of pressure as an energy density (energy/unit volume):
[tex]P = \frac{\delta E}{\delta V}[/tex]

In order to lift an element [itex]\delta m = \rho \delta v[/itex] of water h = .5 m. and accelerate it to v = 30 m/sec energy of:

[tex]\delta E = \delta mgh + \frac{1}{2}\delta mv^2[/tex]

is required. So an energy density of:

[tex]\frac{\delta E}{\delta V} = \rho gh + \frac{1}{2}\rho v^2 = P[/tex]

[tex]P = \rho (gh + \frac{1}{2}v^2)[/tex]

[tex]P = 10^3 (9.8 \times .5 + .5 \times 900)[/tex]

[tex]P = 4.55 \times 10^2 KPa[/tex] or about 4.55 atm. (4.55 bars)

AM

Last edited:
thanks andrew but i have another question

so i did P = 10^3(9.8*0.5 +900*0.5) = and it gives me another answer diffrent that yours it gives me 4.55 x 10^5 half of what you got , why did u multiply it by two ??

timon00 said:
thanks andrew but i have another question

so i did P = 10^3(9.8*0.5 +900*0.5) = and it gives me another answer diffrent that yours it gives me 4.55 x 10^5 half of what you got , why did u multiply it by two ??
Just forgot to multiply by the .5. See edited reply above

AM

1. What are the two main problems with fluids?

The two main problems with fluids are fluid flow and fluid statics. Fluid flow involves the study of how fluids move in response to external forces, while fluid statics focuses on the behavior of fluids at rest.

2. Why is understanding fluid flow important?

Understanding fluid flow is important because it plays a crucial role in many natural and man-made processes, such as the movement of air and water, transport of nutrients in the body, and design of machinery and structures.

3. What factors affect fluid flow?

The speed and direction of fluid flow can be affected by factors such as pressure, viscosity, density, and the presence of obstacles or boundaries.

4. How is fluid statics different from fluid flow?

Fluid statics deals with the behavior of fluids at rest, while fluid flow involves the study of fluids in motion. In fluid statics, the forces acting on the fluid are in equilibrium, while in fluid flow, there is a net force causing the fluid to move.

5. Can fluid mechanics help solve real-world problems?

Yes, fluid mechanics is a critical field of study that has many practical applications. It can be used to design efficient aircraft and cars, optimize the flow of water and oil in pipelines, and even predict weather patterns and ocean currents.