Questions regarding basic electricity and unit conversion

In summary, the conversation is about unit conversions and understanding concepts in Classical Mechanics and Electricity. The first person is seeking help with converting composed units and understanding energy and power. The second person provides a step-by-step explanation for converting units and explains the relationship between power and energy. They also clarify how to divide when dealing with decimal numbers.
psyhprog
I originally wanted to post this in the EE forum, but after seeing the sticky there, I decided that this might be a better place.

1. I got the whole thing about unit conversions (like from V to kV, move the decimal point 3 to the left -- the number becomes smaller by 10^3). Right now, we're at Classical Mechanics (motion, kinematics, static etc.) and I don't know how to convert composed units. Like how do I convert from m/s to km/h, or backwards from km/h to m/s. A step-by-step explanation would be most appreciated.

2. I took up Electricity on my own, kind of a hobby, and I started studying the textbook. So far, just the first chapter, brushed up on some old concepts. There are a few things I don't quite get though. Energy (joules), power (watts). What they really mean, why P = E * I, and all of that. Could anyone shed some light on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
For 1.
If you have for example 60m/s and want to convert to km/hr you do the following:

(60*1000km)/(60*60hr)=16.67km/hr. (You convert the numerator to km, and the denominator to hours).

There is also a very nice conversion factor: 60/3.6=16.67km/hr, to go the other way simply multiply by 3.6.

For 2.
Power=J/s. Basically if you have a high power in your circuit, it means that a lot of energy is being converted per second. If your circuit contains a resistor and P is high, then lots of energy is being converted to thermal energy each second. P=EI because E is in volts which is J/C and I is current which is C/s and so if you multiply them together your left with J/s which is the unit of power.

Thank you for your answer, I think I get it. One more thing. When you're dividing by something like 2,5 , how do you do the division? I remember that for multiplication you did it normally, you counted how many decimals each number had, you added them up and that's how.many decimals the result has.

1. What is the basic unit of electricity?

The basic unit of electricity is the ampere (A), which measures the amount of electric current flowing through a circuit.

2. How is electric current measured?

Electric current is measured using an ammeter, which is connected in series with the circuit to measure the flow of electrons.

3. What is the relationship between voltage and current?

Voltage and current are directly proportional. This means that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current, and vice versa.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity flows in both directions, while DC (direct current) electricity flows in only one direction. AC is the type of electricity used in most household appliances, while DC is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

5. How do I convert between units of electricity?

To convert between units of electricity, you can use the following formulas:- To convert between volts (V) and amps (A): current (I) = voltage (V) / resistance (R)- To convert between watts (W) and amps (A): power (P) = voltage (V) x current (A)