Confused about unit conversion involving natural units

kelly0303
Hello! I have an expression whose natural units are Joules, but all the terms are expressed in terms of cm##^{-1}## (it is for an atomic transition). I have a term in the expression whose units are 1/A (angstrom) and I am not sure how to convert it to what I need. On one hand, if I were to go from 1/A to 1/cm, I would need to multiply that term by ##10^8##. On the other hand, if I want to convert to J, I need to multiply by ##\hbar## c, then convert from J to cm##^{-1}##, which gives ##15927759.569##. The difference between the 2 approaches is ##2\pi##, but I am not sure why. Should I actually use hc instead of ##\hbar##c? The issue is that the formula is defined using ##\hbar## and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. For reference I am talking about equation 1 in this paper (##\alpha_5##, ##A_1## and ##A_2## are unitless). Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have implicit conversion factors somewhere. You need to make them explicit. (Well, you don't need to, but the chances of screwing up are smaller if you do)

Likes sophiecentaur
kelly0303 said:
On one hand, if I were to go from 1/A to 1/cm, I would need to multiply that term by ##10^8##.
Correct.
kelly0303 said:
Should I actually use hc instead of ##\hbar##c?
Yes. What spectroscopists refer to as wave number is ## 1/\lambda ##, not ## k = 2 \pi / \lambda ##, as theorists often do. In terms of energy (## E=hc/\lambda ##), ##\rm 1 ~eV = 8065.5~cm^{-1} = 1.6022 \times 10^{-19}~J##.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What are natural units?

Natural units are a system of units in which certain fundamental constants are normalized to the value of 1 to simplify equations and calculations. This is commonly used in fields like physics, especially in theoretical and particle physics, where constants like the speed of light (c), the gravitational constant (G), Planck's constant (h), and the Coulomb constant (k) are set to 1. This simplification can help clarify how different physical quantities relate to each other.

2. How do I convert from natural units to SI units?

To convert from natural units to SI units (the International System of Units), you need to reintroduce the constants that were set to 1. For example, if the speed of light (c) and Planck's constant (ħ = h/2π) are set to 1 in natural units, you would convert an energy value back to SI units by multiplying by factors of c and ħ as needed, depending on the dimensions of the quantity in question. The specific factors depend on the quantity's dimensionality in terms of mass, length, time, and charge.

3. Why do physicists use natural units?

Physicists use natural units to simplify equations and calculations, particularly in the realms of quantum mechanics and relativity. By setting fundamental constants like the speed of light and Planck's constant to 1, the equations become less cluttered and the fundamental relationships and symmetries become more apparent, aiding in theoretical development and problem-solving.

4. Can you give an example of a conversion involving natural units?

Consider the energy of a particle in electron volts (eV) in a context where Planck's constant (ħ) and the speed of light (c) are set to 1. To convert this energy to joules (the SI unit for energy), you would use the conversion factor for eV to joules (1 eV ≈ 1.60218 x 10^-19 joules) directly, as the setting of ħ and c to 1 does not affect the energy dimension directly in this simple case.

5. What are the challenges of working with natural units?

One of the main challenges of working with natural units is the initial confusion it can create, especially for those new to the concept. It can be difficult to intuitively grasp the scale and implications of physical quantities when familiar constants are absent from equations. Additionally, when communicating with scientists in other disciplines or the general public, it often becomes necessary to convert back to more conventional units, which requires careful attention to the dimensions and scales involved.